A V O R I O N -New Block Suggestions. by: CaptainRamius (developers please read)

CaptainRamius

Suggestion

Here are some suggestions for new parts to build with and their descriptions:

<========================================================>

- Transporter room: allows for trading of crew & cargo between your ship and another ship or station at a distance without having to dock directly to the ship or station. (Uses lots of energy!) (distance scales with material and size of block!)

-Plasma accelerator: boosts engine speed. Boost scales with size rather than material.

Stage-1 accelerator gives 25% max speed boost

Stage-2 accelerator gives 50% max speed boost

stage-3 accelerator gives 75% max speed boost and enables impulse drives to operate.

(Uses lots of energy!)

- Bearing: allows for blocks to spin freely. (Can be set to 15 degree increments or full rotation!)

- Motorized bearing: spins blocks using its own power. (Uses energy!) (Can be set to 15 degree increments or continual rotation!) (can be set to five different speed levels!)

- Lamp blocks: same as glow blocks but can be switched on & off via its own key bind. (Uses very little energy!)

- Engine slope: a sloped engine block

- Curve blocks: a rounded version of slope blocks.

- Inverted curve blocks: an inversely rounded version of slope blocks.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Engine update(not a block): engines blocks could let you select what form of propulsion you wish to use. Upon placing an engine block, a UI would pop up asking which form of propulsion to use. Each method of propulsion would use a different combination of energy efficiency, speed, and fuel type stats (fuels bypassed in creative mode). Each method of propulsion would also have a unique sound and graphic. Here are the engine types and their stats:

-Liquid oxygen combustion: high energy efficiency, low speed, liquid-oxygen fuel (common)

-Ion fission plasma: medium energy efficiency, medium speed, uranium/plutonium (uncommon)

- high-energy fusion plasma: low energy efficiency, high speed, helium isotope 2&3 tritium (rare) & deuterium (uncommon)

-Impulse drive manifold: extremely high energy efficiency, high speed, no fuel but requires stage-3 plasma accelerator.

3 answers to this suggestion

I'm not sure whether the engine could support rotating blocks, but if it can that this would be a pretty cool addition. I like most of your suggestions, in fact. Don't have a particularly strong opinion about the Transporter Room idea. Someone recently suggested curved blocks as well, so I'd suggest +1-ing that post as well.

I think that the function of the block (engine, armor, hull, etc.) and the shape of the block (slope, edge, curve, etc.) should be stored as two distinct values, and the UI should reflect that. Then, for rotating a piece, two sets of rings reflecting the functional rotation and a menu reflecting the shape-based rotation show up, one inside the other. Also, engines should be able to face directions besides to the aft.

I do like the propellant-based engine idea, and the variety you suggest sounds pretty cool. I don't think forcing the player to deal with a UI for every engine block they place down is such a good idea, though. Maybe just have each kind of drive be it's own block? The Impulse Drive Manifold sounds like a reactionless drive, which would work great as a replacement for the current Inertial MoistenerDampener.

Having a 1/8th sphere and 1/4 disc would be fantastic, at a minimum. That would really cut down on polys and vertices in the game for many ship types builds out there. But to be fully useful, they would need to have a specified 'shell' thickness that would allow hollow spheres and cylinders.

Another way to hollow things out in interesting and useful ways would be to allow boolean subtraction between primitive shapes to create customized primitives or pieces saved as templates. So you could make a custom 'hollow' 1/8th sphere, then put 8 together to make a hollow full sphere. Move one half away from the other half to make an equatorial 'trench' where openings to the inside could be created.

I don't see a major impediment to providing some additional primitive shapes, such as disk (or quarter-disc shape; add 4 together and scale up to any diameter and length to make round pillars, missile or nacelle bodies, etc.), dome or quarter dome or 1/8 sphere (add together to make domes and spheres), flat-donut-quarters for hollow cylinder shapes, etc. Basically, various ways to make spherical, cylindrical, and conical shapes that can be hollow to some degree.

Hinges stolen from nimbus and i dont see the need in this game since you can aim your turrets and your ship seperately anyways.

and for the engine types- arent they tiered in the game already? each with different looks? heck they sound the same but send some soundfiles to the devs and theyll implement them in no time i bet ya-

liquid oxygen drive... while it sounds scientific have you ever tried lighting a match? how come the oxygen around the globe doesnt instantly ignite? Oh you say its bc theres nitrogen and other elements that make up air? no... Oxygen binds to itself forming O2 which does not burn by itself. It needs a reagent like hydrogen, which real life spaceships use at the moment.

and the other three methods youre mentioning are energy generation methods which produce HEAT ! thats why you see those big round towers at nuclear power stations.. those are exhausts for steam which is generated in the process- basically you have a coolant for the fuel rods which is pumped in a circle and heats up steam generators which then produce electricity from the heat!

Sooooo all im saying is that those are energy generation methods which dont produce any kind of recoil or impulse in the process.

as much as i like your idea- the problem we only see chemical engines (hydrogen + oxygen = water) in space games is that we havent invented any other good methods of traveling in space but please go ahead and invent something- youre gonna be the richest fellah on the planet in no time

(this is in no way possible meant as a mean comment or meant to harm you- just get your facts straight <3 )