Getting started - some building questions.

count_zero99uk

Hi been playing a bit, using work shop ships that ive altered a bit and the like but now hoping to start making my own i have a couple of questions though.

Firstly Thrusters and Directional Thrusters, is there any difference?  Also if you cover them do they stop working?

Similar question with Solar Panels.  If they are covered or blocked by something does it limit energy build?

Think thats it at the moment :) im sure there will be more.

Thrusters work in all 3 Axis (x, y, z), Directional thruster only work in one of these 3 axis.

You can cover every block (even engine blocks), it will still work. I recommand using at least some gyrophalanx or thruster blocks inside your ship, making it harder to kill these block wich would make you disabled to move or rotate your ship.

I usely build a strong armor hull around my ship, and put all other blocks inside.

Normal thrusters, like said above, work in all axis. Directional thrusters work only in the axis they are oriented in. So backwards/forwards, or left/right, or up/down. The benefit of directional thrusters is that you can place them away from your ship's center of gravity and use them to get better turning or break thrust than a normal thruster would provide. Thrusters and engines can be covered with no problems whatsoever. If you want to show an engine for appearance, you can always use a thin engine slice on the outside just to make your ship look cooler while keeping your main engines under the armor.

I'm also a big fan of gyroscopes and intertia dampeners, though those do use up a bit more power so it's a trade off.

Solar panels rely on surface area and do not need to be covered. You can stack very thin slices of solar panel blocks inside your ship and they will work just fine.

I usually completely skip solar panels and mine some titanium to make a titanium generator. You should be able to find a few titanium asteroids in your starting sector though it may take a bit to find them.