non creative need to be more difficult

LoSboccacc

you can still strap together some thruster, sell an asteroid and gate all your way to xanion starting right there.

pirates and aliens won't target you if you don't have weapons and are generally flying around on slow junk that's easily outrun

there should be more incentive for staying at iron/titanium or a way to start directly in xanion if skipping most content is considered legit

• 2 weeks later...

Something that may work:

Higher gate fees, like ridiculously high if you are not in the green. As you go green (reputation) it drops to a still high, bit a much more easily manageable level.  Maybe 5 or 10k or just 1 or 2k. If not friendly then 20k to 100k.

Pirate faction gates or enemy faction option so you don't have to be friendly with them: destroy any stations in the sector and the cost goes way down or disappears altogether.

This of course means all gate sector require at least some building, so you can blow it up and not pay the fee.

Bonus if player stations only, then payments go to players. Can only work outside the starting quadrant though.

Haven't messed with endgame much yet, been having a lot of fun messing around mod to be honest. See what happens when I get there.

• 1 month later...

Reputation! is your answer.

Who in their right mind would jump on a ship of a captain they have never seen before and don't know? Sure as heck not me!

So npc should not either!

The player should start in a smaller ship and have to gain a rep before people will join his crew. The better your rep the easier it is to get crew.

And there is your way to make the whole map meaningful.

Who in their right mind would jump on a ship of a captain they have never seen before and don't know? Sure as heck not me!

The player should start in a smaller ship and have to gain a rep before people will join his crew. The better your rep the easier it is to get crew.

This just makes it grindy, but not at all difficult

This just makes it grindy, but not at all difficult

Ah okay... I don't think you are thinking your statement through.

You can make all Npc more powerful :ie more life more dps blah blah.(and there is servers that do this) However with a little time mining the asteroid fields a player can make a ship that dwarfs them.

Its easy because a player can instantly make better ships, so no matter how hard you make it all you do is increase grinding time on scrap fields and shooting rocks. On the other hand if you limit the size of ship a player can make and force him to do missions/kill pirates trade goods Blah blah blah to gain rep the whole game actually becomes about playing the game instead of circumventing 75% of it to you have a the resources to be op. 

My idea was that you should have to complete "research" missions to unlock the ability to build with a certain resource or build certain components with said resource. There should be multiple ways to unlock them, including through combat missions, trading, mining, and exploration. It should also be an optional feature on the game start so those who wish to play without progression may do so.

This would slow down the race to the core a bit, and allow players to enjoy the gameplay in the outer and middle sectors of the galaxy. Combined with adding more content such as missions and random events, and it could make the game feel much better to play.