General gameplay/game Feedback

RadiantFlux

Suggestion

First things first:

After many hours of playing I must say that Avorion is a lot of fun overall.

My current progress, so you know how well I know the game:

I am playing the game on the highest difficulty setting (Insane) in singleplayer.

I am in the middle of the Trinium area of the galaxy and have just finished upgrading all my ships parts from Titanium to Trinium and just added fighter hangars.

My main ship has 7 upgrade slots without computer-core and is heavy! (I will add a screenshot of its stats later)

I have a fleet of two ships.

• Ship for combat (Main, 7 slots)
  • Ship for Mining (Secondary, 6 slots)

The good:

• I love ship-building and design. The editor is good and for someone like me who uses Blender3D a lot quite intuitive. :D
  • The differences jumping from one sector to another are fun. The moment when I first found a wreckage-field was great, for example.
  • The upgrades-system is nice and collecting loot is fun.
  • Progression in the game feels well earned.
  • Different gun types, the upgrade system and all are really nice.

To improve:

• Ship AI is highly ineffective at times. My mining ship was wasting lots and lots of time not mining, but oddly flying around the asteroid instead of pointing the lasers towards it.
  • Some building materials such as the computer-core seem pointless and do not scale well with progression. With my current ship I would need a computer core-block that is almost as big as my current ship to add just one more upgrade slot.
  • My biggest wish would be to have ships get more damaged. For example by reducing the effect of the structural integrity field to double or at most triple durability instead of ten-times the durability. I would very much prefer to see my ship properly damaged and falling apart in intense combat instead of losing one or two small odd parts and then the ship health is gone and the whole ship explodes before any proper damage can even be noticed. If ship parts where more prone to falling off shield penetrating guns would have more use and it would promote well designed ship component placements for extra redundancy.
  • I cannot stress this point enough. Making blocks more prone to get blasted off would make building a ship with good function in its design and layout WAY more interesting and important than it is now. To build a ship that can keep going even when half of it is gone … that is something I want during battle way more often than currently is the case. But maybe that kind of gameplay will happen more often when I reach the “railgun” area of space? I very much hope so.

Thanks for making a great game.

RadiantFlux

EDIT:

My ship:

JZwIbBV.jpg

2 answers to this suggestion

+1

I appreciate that you mentioned computer cores. The bonus they provide towards gaining another slot should also be distinct, like all the other bonuses given by components on your ship. Does it really just artificially inflate your volume, and that's it? That's what the Wiki says, and I've not found anything to contradict it. I think modders would appreciate having the ability to control system upgrade slots.

Update: I am now at the edge of the boundary for which I need the artifacts.

My ship now has 9 upgrade slots and is a monster.

The average bounty-hunter is dead before my fighters have finished deploying.

The average pirate dies after two shots.

I am seriously overpowered at this point and have started killing stations of factions that don't like me, harvesting hundreds of thousands of materials that way.

I am still playing on highest difficulty.

Most attacks on my ship result in a reduction of my shield down by maybe 20% at worst, if even that. It has been a long time since I was worried in any way. Just to mention: My hull has as many hitpoints as my shield.

:D