Ideas about durability and damage and my best moment in this game so far!

RadiantFlux

Suggestion

Yesterday I encountered a ring of asteroids with a circle of big ships that had a minable asteroid in the middle. When I started mining their asteroid the ships attacked me ...... And this was the first fight in a long time that was actually not too one-sided. They all had guns that had massive shield penetration so my hull went down faster than my shield. Some of the ships even had Ogonite components. (The first I have encountered because I have not yet crossed the border to the center)

I did win the fight without much sweat, but they did indeed manage to get my hull down to about 50% health which was rather amazing! (While my shield was still at about 70%)

But here again I noticed that the high durability of the building blocks on the ships are a problem.

One of the ships had a clear weak-spot that would have allowed to break it in half, so I attacked that spot with high precision trying to break that intersection ..... not a chance. Before the block broke, the ship was out of health and just exploded.

I really really really think that this game would benefit from two things very, very much:

1) Much lower durability increase when using integrity field generators. (3x more instead of 10x)

I believe this would have the great effect that HOW we build our ships and HOW we attack enemies would gain much importance and tactics. Currently it does not truly matter where I really hit a target. But if I could properly kill off specific sections of the ship, break them in bits more effectively instead of just blowing off the odd thruster here and there ... that would be MUCH nicer and give maneuverability of ships a much finer and better edge.

2) Long streaks of survival areas that have no repair and build options.

Basically have vast areas of space (that can be recognized like the areas a faction controls) that only allow for jumps up to five fields (Or 30% of current max range) which do not allow for repair options other than normal mechanic health. (In those areas you cannot build new blocks onto the ship and cannot replace blocks that have been shot off.)

I had a situation like this exactly once and it was great, fantastic fun!

I got into several big fights and sustained larger damage than usual. A few bits and pieces had broken off my ship.

I did not have much money so I could not repair on the fly but I also did not want to turn back to the last set of stations. So I continued.

Of the next seven jumps I six landed me in hostile areas. Pirates or factions with stations that hated me.

It was great!

The faction destroyers came and came and came and I fought and fought and fought.

I won all encounters but could still not repair. Jump after Jump after Jump.

And my ship at the end looked like a battered little thing that was still going strong despite it all.

And when I reached a repair station and could sell all my loot and repair ... it was like coming home vitorious after a true survival battle with the scars to prove it.

This was one of the greatest moments in this game by far.

Actually feeling that my ship design was so good, my thruster placements and redundancy systems placed so well that my ship was able to fly and fight even when a third of it was missing .... it was truly great. That was the one moment where I really felt that my ship design and all the effort I put into it had mattered.

I want more of this.

Much more.

Please? :)

3 answers to this suggestion

I like the idea you have. and would suggest this as a galaxy difficulty slider. At the moment there is only collision damage, but with options like:

Repair station quantity 5% - 100%

Self repair (yes / no)

integrity field generators 1x - 10x

this way you could make the game very difficult for veterans, without turning enemies into meatshields.

while your ideas go in the right direction, keep in mind that theres only 2 guys working on this game! it would be very hard to overhaul the ship generation algorythm to get rid of obvious weak spots which would result in even easier battles.

also i can assure you, simply changing the hp scaling of integrity shields wont fix the problem - if the game is too easy for you, play on insane difficulty, dont buy stuff etc etc, theres great many ways to enhance your experience in this game if you dont feel challenged enough :P