umbilical docking

SkyCore

Suggestion

6 answers to this suggestion

A kilometer away???

I think at that point you would be using smaller ships to ferry goods/supplies back and forth.

I am not sure of the scaling but I know bigger stations with bigger ships, you see the docks much sooner and I do not have problems docking, however I slide sideways into dock due to the shape of my ship. I have my deceleration at the right point where within 10k I just have to ensure my speed in 100ms increments matches count of km distance.

This curves as I slow down, but I end up reaching 0 at about 0.23 and can manually move the rest of the way.

A kilometer away???

Energy production without resource destruction, unlimited ammo for guns, faster than light travel... but you think a km long umbilical is absurd?

As for the shuttling idea, i thinks thats a great idea as well.

Until the real docking will be implemented (I doubt that this will happen soon), there is an idea of using the same docking port that we use for stations. And if you have it installed just trade using this "transport beam", which is currently used for trading with NPC ships.

Wasting an upgrade slot doesn't feel like a good idea.

The distance is calculated from the docking block to the nearest point on your ship.

I've seen people using antenas made of hologram block. Put it on the nose of the ship. Also, cheap if it gets destroyed.

Physical docking is planned. Shame to waste development time on something in-between while there are workarounds.