Avorion steam early access release

Volken

• Boxelware Team

I'll do a quick copy-paste of my recent answer to someone who was asking about the Early Access release on reddit. The answer still stands and sums the situation up perfectly.

Please note that nothing I say here is carved in stone and things can change. These are not promises, but the things we're considering right now.

We most likely won't tell you a hard date. We'll do the Early Access Release in a "when it's done" or rather "when it's ready" fashion. This is by far the most important step in the development process of Avorion and we don't want to rush it. Even games in Early Access are expected to be very polished, and that's what we're working on right now. There are still several issues and some of them take time to resolve. Which, by the way, is also why there aren't that many updates at the moment, since they're mostly not newsworthy (Hooray, I fixed obscure bug #54).

But if you're a backer then I have good news for you: If the road to Early Access takes too long then we want to do a full Kickstarter beta so the remaining other backers don't feel cheated because we couldn't make the schedule. From the feedback we've got so far most people who backed just want to play the game, even if it has bugs, as long as they get to play it.

So I know devs hate being hounded for release dates (and for good reason), but given that the original Kickstarter timeline has been pushed back by several months, how long is "too long" when it comes to the road to Early Access? I am a Fighter-Tier backer and would love to get my hands on a beta copy if you guys really are considering a full Kickstarter beta.

Edit: I just saw the most recent Kickstarter update newsletter which answered my question. Looking forward to playing!