Turret factories and specialty weapon crafting

Kamo

Suggestion

I had two basic ideas - making specific types of weapons should be unlocked and evolve in rarity by researching them, not by distance to core. It recently used to be the list of weapon known by the player.

Right now bringing new weapon types to "underdeveloped" edgeward sectors to fit in ships is a chore >:(.

Also, research could be used to « tech up » (improve Tech Level and a particular trait) or downsize weapons (to reduce the increased size due to teching up) instead of increasing rarity which would still be an option.

Right now research directly applies a weakly-randomized tech value based on core distance, which means if a bunch of Tech 100 weapons are being researched at the galaxy fringe, the resulting weapon would be downgraded to Tech 1 :-\ !

A more complicated idea would be that researching weapons with extraordinary stats (the ones on descriptions like +x% damage) would give the player a both weapon-based, material-based and stat-based "research experience" that would make players better weaponcrafters as they and their industry crafts weapons, very very slowly increasing either the caps on component amounts, or the stats themselves. It would be faction-based: NPC factions would already begin with varying bonuses to their weapons (which would even increase during faction wars as a lot of weapons are made), to have one or two "specialty weapons", to which players would maybe have to adapt.

It almost feels like a bad idea that would end in gaming the system, however.

As another suggestion, research should or may be a little more genetic (research big range weapons should yield big range weapons), but it may be another bad idea.

1 answer to this suggestion

I heard a rumor (in-game) that they are using genetic algorithms to improve equipment at research stations. I was excited at first, but after some trial and error, I've concluded that it's just a false rumor.

It would be great to see it in action. I really mean it! Let us control its parameters.

- Population size would be the amount of equipment you put in.

- Mutation rate - the amount of gamble

- Number of generations - effectively a time limit

And let us see the graphical representation of what the algorithm is doing at the moment (either an icon or a 3D model).

It doesn't have to be fast. Heck, slow it down on purpose! Just like it takes a long time to build a good fighter, it could take a long time to research a good weapon or an upgrade.

For impatient ones, you can leave the old research system we have now.

Edit: for reference: http://www.obitko.com/tutorials/genetic-algorithms/index.php