In-game Encyclopedia and notepad(s)

Uthael

Suggestion

4 answers to this suggestion

integrated browser with links to the wiki seems like the cost effective solution

Highly against that!

- unusable offline

- has mini-loadings

- info depends on people posting instead of being pulled directly from the game's files. Can be outdated

- wiki can't read what you've discovered. It shows you everything it has regardless of your preference about spoilers

- unusable offline

So.. the difference in singleplayer between no wiki when offline and nonexistent ingame wiki?

- has mini-loadings

Which will happen only if you're using it.

- wiki can't read what you've discovered. It shows you everything it has regardless of your preference about spoilers

So, who's forcing you to use it?

- info depends on people posting instead of being pulled directly from the game's files. Can be outdated

Do you really think that devs are going to write an entire wiki for you? Game community usually does that. And current wiki are made by community. Yes, it's somewhat outdated. But being able to access it from the game its a good idea. Though I'm against integrating browser in game. This thing is slow and eats a lot of memory. Better be just making a HTTP-request and using really simple formatting on retrieved info.

Yes, I'd like to use it. And no, I don't like spoilers.

Arguing aside, I don't think much more writing is needed. Plain text, I mean. Don't know about code. All the needed descriptions are already written in the game.

OK, forget the word "Wiki". How about a catalogue of what the player has encountered so far? Weapons, trade goods, ships,stations and sectors.

A lot of the existing UI can be re-used. For example, when you want to know about a specific race's ships, you'd get a window similar to what their shipyard would have.

Another example would be weapons. You get a Turret Factory UI, but you can also set higher rarities and choose between possible modifiers (Burst Fire, +XX% damage to hull,...). When you choose a modifier, it shows you which turret factory you've seen that in.

Also, a list of trade goods and where to get them. Some turret factories and trading stations sell Laser heads. I can't find those by searching the map. Wiki doesn't help there because each galaxy is generated anew.