Gamepad/Joystick

SpaceMonkey

Has anyone tried using a gamepad or joystick? There's no direct support, but there's a number of programs like xpadder that basically just let you set the gamepad/stick to keyboard/mouse functions.

I plan on tinkering with my gamepad later to see if I can make a sort of Avorion set-up on XPadder

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I wasn't satisfied with the keyboard controls and I tried binding the keys to my joystick with JoyToKey, and with some tuning it ended up working very well. It isn't perfect, my trust level isn't detected and I had to put the trust on a key, but it does give the feel of similar drive game. I putted mouse control on 2 axes and because of the mouse it feel very good, the rotation however is a bit harsh because it's based on the keyboard key. JoyToKey have an analog acceleration option, which allow me to put lighter amount of mouse move and make the aiming easier, and still be able to move really fast. I choosed 20 for every cursor movement with a x3 analog acceleration, and it's really good for me.

I was about to forget about the game when I readed that no joystick support was planned, but the fact that I managed to do it pretty easily on the demo made me change my mind and I'm going to buy the game. I still hope that the devs will give us official support.

• 2 months later...

Official gamepad support would be amazing, even if it's only for flying your ships, exploring, and combat.

That said, the steam controller works really well for this, but not so much when using the ship builder.