Research: Point Defense Chaingun returns Normal Chaingun

ohartenstein23

Saw this same behavior last night.  I also noticed that point defense cannons and chain guns are not separated in the turret list when you sort by type.

Wondering if the only difference between a standard chain gun and a point defense cannon is the high firing rate?  (Assuming both have independent targeting.)  Although I've also found chain guns that shoot just as fast as my point defense cannons, so that doesn't really work either.  Would love to hear what the developer has to say about the differences...

Wondering if the only difference between a standard chain gun and a point defense cannon is the high firing rate?  (Assuming both have independent targeting.)  Although I've also found chain guns that shoot just as fast as my point defense cannons, so that doesn't really work either.  Would love to hear what the developer has to say about the differences...

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not a separate class of turret, just renamed and guaranteed longer range, 99.5% accuracy, high fire rate, and independent targeting. I would say low damage too, but I've seen some that have better DPS per slot size than almost all the regular chainguns I've found. They're almost too good as regular weapons with that bonus range+accuracy, perhaps some damage should be replaced with a bonus vs torpedoes and fighters.