Is Speed Coming to An AI Near Me?

Are there any plans to grant AI ships more speed?  It would be more engaging (literally) if AI ships could at least sometimes keep up with player piloted ships.

If this is a problem, can you illuminate some of the issues present which prevent AI from having speed?

Is this intended for balance or story purposes?  I can't imagine why it would be, but I've heard stranger things.

Is this an issue having to do with collision detection?  Is the game incapable of collision avoidance at the moment?  I haven't seen a lot of evidence that the AI has any at all, that's why I ask.

I apologize if these things have been asked before on the forums, but since the recent combat updates it's become increasingly more obvious what the real weakness of AI ships really is:  speed.

Their max speed is based on the braking speed, add more reverse thrust by the use of directional thrusters and they'll go faster.

I'm talking about enemy AI primarily, although this is nice to know about player-owned ships.  I'm pretty sure I have nothing to do with how fast enemy AI can go.

Maybe making faction ships have a much higher effect from thrusters, engines and brake-related stuff, maybe 3? So if i have a ship wich is the same as a faction ship, that ship will have a much higher speed because of it and will also use that higher speed capability because of their improved brakingthrust. Their mobility is fine so maybr just multiply speed and brakingthrust? Your own fleet needs it less because you design your ship, but because factionships have random generation, this might be better.

Since the AI ships are randomly generated you do have a chance to be fast enemies. Although most of the time they are just the enemies we normally see I have encountered AI that can get up to 500-600M/s. While you may not consider that fast with your 5000m/s ship with an acceleration value of 1000  this is indeed very fast for the AI, and I have been caught off guard by them numerous times.

Just add a velocity bypass module to your AI ships and a lot of directional thrusters for high breaking speed.

I did some trial and errors research and put my result in this thread https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,4620.0.html

Was intended for miners but should work for all AI ships just add more thrust as well

Its not that your ships are slow, its just how slow the enemy's are. You can design your own ships but they cant. And sometimes they're fast, but  i think they need to be way faster.

Just add a velocity bypass module to your AI ships and a lot of directional thrusters for high breaking speed.

I did some trial and errors research and put my result in this thread https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,4620.0.html

Was intended for miners but should work for all AI ships just add more thrust as well

Its not that your ships are slow, its just how slow the enemy's are. You can design your own ships but they cant. And sometimes they're fast, but  i think they need to be way faster.

Yes, this is what I was getting at.  I didn't figure on everyone fixating on player-owned ships, but I can see how the original post reads that way.

I've seen some pirates go upward to 220 m/s in the Iron Wastes: the procedural ship generation definitely improved itself over the past few months :), they sometimes get back in range of my ship after a boost.

... I like the subject title, feels like an anime title ::).

I wonder what would happen if the AI oponents would have the speed bypass too. At least some of them. I guess they would reach the same speed as Player AI ships which can be 1000 m/s + .

So I guess everything should be available and itwould be refreshing if AI opponents follow you at that speeds.

It should be easy to test on the Beta server

I wonder what would happen if the AI oponents would have the speed bypass too. At least some of them. I guess they would reach the same speed as Player AI ships which can be 1000 m/s + .

So I guess everything should be available and itwould be refreshing if AI opponents follow you at that speeds.

It should be easy to test on the Beta server

I actually had a dream about that last night. I was trying to boost away from 3 pirates and they kept right on my tail. It was pretty epic.

Yeah, we had a discussion about this before that I made. Generally, people want to keep their speed and be able to maneuver as well using their boost.

I gave advice to either remove boost and increase the general speed of all ships (AI/Player) or to implement boosting for AI ships. Sadly, no dev team members replied to it. We did have a nice discussion regarding the topic though.