Guns not working against XWG

BlackAce21

So I am an admin on ProsperCraft servers. This is an issue that has been reported to me a few times intermittently and I finally got a chance to see it first hand.

It seems that certain guns are randomly losing the ability to shoot at the guardian and it happens frequently to some and never for others. As near as I can tell when it is happening though it happens for everyone. The weapons in question that I know of so far are lightning turrets and railguns and I don't have any additional information as to why or how right now. I actually thought about it AFTER someone helped the player who was having the problem kill it that I should have saved the sector file with him in it and bugged for further study =\ I will try and get a copy of that if I can and post it here.

Things I did notice, it appears to be something to do with the hitbox interaction for those projectiles in some way as shots WERE being registered once in a while but it would be like 1 shot in 20 and only the one would register. I did notice also that rails seem to shoot clear through and that the shields on the guardian didn't seem to be registering at all. Once the shields were down, hits to the hull were similarly passing through without any indication of a hit and this was for multiple people, myself and 2 others.

I did comb the logs but found zero entries in it from the moment the sector was loaded until after the guardian was killed. If there is anything else I can provide however or a script I can run to get you diagnostic information that you can use please let me know and I will be happy to work on getting that to you asap.

Thank you for your time :)

Just thought I'd drop in because I've been noticing something similar.

In singleplayer I've been noticing that railguns will sometimes be dealing damage (to any target) but will randomly stop dealing damage on a specific target. Nothing comes up in the logs about this either.

Sometimes if it's a shielded target, and the shields are taken down by rockets or pulse cannons/etc, the railguns will be able to deal damage against the hull again.

I don't normally use them, but I will be testing the lightning guns to see if I get the issue with those too.

Just bump the guardian with your ship and they will start working again.

We were having this problem on Rusty's and then we moved to the beta, and it went away.  Then we moved back to the stable 16.7 and it's back.