A bit of everything [spoilers]

Dinosawer

Suggestion

A variety of small (and large) things that occurred to me while playing:

warning: contains subjectivity

Balance stuff

1. The "ring" in which you find the AI is fairly thin compared to the other bosses, making it less likely to run into it naturally (i.e. without knowing in which exact region you have to be), especially since most people will have a larger jumprange by then

2. Missile launchers are somewhat crappy most of the time - damage doesn't matter if your missiles never hit because they're so slow

3. Seeker missiles seem to be extremely rare - think I've only seen 2 of those in 90+hours and finding over 1000 turrets

4. I find that I can still easily tank MAD science despite the damage increase to 3000 - might be my ship is just TOO STRONK though

5. The equipment you find as loot by shooting stuff is tons better than what you can buy (you rarely see upgrades better than uncommon in shops, as an example) which puts a strong focus on combat as opposed to trading etc

(fine for me but perhaps not for everyone)

6. Fighters are fiddly at times - the open space needed in front of hangars is kinda large (even the space next to the space in front of it needs to be empty)

7. Might just be me, but fighters seem overly expensive for the damage they do given that they're easily destroyed. Not much point in losing a >1mil fighter in a fight that only nets me a couple 10k in loot

Would be nice to have:

1. Selling equipment could do with selecting multiple + selection filters - I just sold a couple hundred turrets one by one, which took aaaaaages

(I wanted to sell all turrets up to below xanion, and all turrets up to below ogonite with rarity of common)

2. The ability to save and load turret configurations would be nice - I can't ever be bothered to outfit my ship for mining since that means switching 27 turrets, and writing them all down, and them finding them again in the list of stuff

3. The ability to see the stats of a turret mounted on your ship (currently I have to check it in the ship menu by trying to see visually which it is, which makes seeing which I can switch out for a better one... tricky.)

4. Listing the DPS of each turret in omicron in the stats (instead of just damage and fire rate)

5. Sorting turrets by DPS

6. It would be nice if enemies used fighters and if you could find them as loot

7. Option to scale an entire ship in the builder (I've wrote a script to do it for me in python)

8. Option to upgrade the material of a ship i the builder (I use replace in the xml for now, but some blocks don't exist in certain materials which makes this not-optimal)

8 answers to this suggestion

• Boxelware Team

Thanks for the feedback, I agree with a lot of your points (or I'll have a look and fix it), and I'll leave some clarifications on the others.

2: Normal missile launchers are for stationary targets.

6: I never had this problem and I think a visualization of the area that should remain free for hangars is the easiest solution. It's not that hard when you know what you have to look out for.

7: I'm aware that fighters are too weak compared to how easily they can be destroyed (especially with the upcoming auto-turrets, these things just rip squadrons apart), and I'll look into that. Harder to destroy will probably be the solution.

1: Can you tell me how exactly you'd imagine the filtered selling to be like?

2: I want you to build and specialize multiple ships, which is why I haven't put any focus on respec'ing.

6: Enemies with fighters are actually already in there - at least they should be. You can expect them in the next patch for sure. Definitely agree on collecting fighters as loot.

2: Normal missile launchers are for stationary targets.

There aren't really a whole lot of those, though

6: I never had this problem and I think a visualization of the area that should remain free for hangars is the easiest solution. It's not that hard when you know what you have to look out for.

Aye, that would help - it happened with my battlecruiser and I had no idea what I was doing wrong. I now see a small part of another block is a bit in front of the hangar, so that's probably the issue.

1: Can you tell me how exactly you'd imagine the filtered selling to be like?

The easiest solution would probably be a set of checkboxes - for material, rarity, and turret type.

That way, I could just check "common, uncommon, rare" and "iron, titanium, trinium, naonite", "all types" to sell old redundant stuff,

"common", "xanion", "all types" to sell all low-level stuff

and e.g. "all rarities", "all materials", "force turrets" to get rid of all my force turrets if I don't use those.

And something similar for upgrades.

Optionally you could use those for selecting turrets, and then have a "sell all selected" button, allowing the player to exclude or include individual turrets in the selection as well.

6: Enemies with fighters are actually already in there - at least they should be. You can expect them in the next patch for sure. Definitely agree on collecting fighters as loot.

If they are, I haven't seen any in 95 hours (or I didn't see the fighters) :V

Some other things I forgot:

-tesla turrets are for some reason named "lightning turrets" for materials below ogonite (or avorion, forgot which)

-Being able to apply system upgrades to a ship you aren't piloting would be handy

-AI piloted (player owned) ships always have a hard time keeping up with me, which is the main reason I prefer to play lone wolf (aside from some AI bugs which might be fixed by now)

-For performance, maybe hold off pirate and Xsotan invasions in system where a large battle is already taking place

-What is "a fully functional battleship"? I appear to need one for an achievement, and apparently my ship which I battle with isn't a battleship :V

• Boxelware Team
There aren't really a whole lot of those, though

What about stations?

If they are, I haven't seen any in 95 hours (or I didn't see the fighters) :V

I think in the current version those aren't active yet - as I said: I'll check. Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to be the "you'll just have to look for them" guy, but I have lots of things to keep track of, so forgive me if I don't know everything from the top of my head.

As for the other things:

- The names of the tesla turrets should have been fixed, are you sure those aren't just old turrets from previous versions?

- Remote management of ships is a great idea.

- Whats the exact issue you have with the AI ships keeping up?

- Performance: That would just be a hack and not a solution. The right way is making the performance during larger battles good enough so pirates/Xsotan can attack during battles without issues.

- Fully functional battleship: I'll add some more ingame clarification on this as well. You'll need 50k+ hull and shields, gunners, mechanics, engineers, at least one of each officer, a captain, 10+ turrets, 2+ squads of fighters, 15+ fighters and no ship issues such as "not enough engineers" IIRC.

What about stations?

Meant frequency more - I only very rarely attack stations (aside from the loot there's not really much incentive to - they don't shoot me and aren't target of any missions) so it hadn't even occurred to me to add some missile launchers for when I do.

Might be my playstyle, of course.

(Actually, a mission "wipe out pirate system including stations" might be nice as step up from "kill pirates")

- The names of the tesla turrets should have been fixed, are you sure those aren't just old turrets from previous versions?

Ooooooh, yeah, that'll be it. Just happened to switch regions with a patch inbetween.

- Whats the exact issue you have with the AI ships keeping up?

Well, I last tested it with a previous version (so grains of salt all around), but

-had to "babysit" their system upgrades to make sure the jump range was the same as my ship or they'd just stay behind

-they always flew half as fast as I did (even in the same ship)

-When I was travelling (i.e. multiple consecutive jumps or jumpgates) I had to make sure not to get more than a system ahead or they'd get lost, which combined with the previous item meant half of my time was spent waiting for the other ship to catch up

-When mining they'd try to pick up every bit separately instead of grabbing "clouds" making them a lot slower than when I mined

-And then there used to be an issue that AI ships would sometimes just start spinning instead of doing whatever you ordered them to do (might be fixed by now)

- Performance: That would just be a hack and not a solution. The right way is making the performance during larger battles good enough so pirates/Xsotan can attack during battles without issues.

True, but one does not exclude the other - making sure performance is always good on every potato playing the game (or with any amount of players) is tricky.

(want to make clear none of all this is meant as harsh criticism or something - I really like the game :D )

• Boxelware Team
(Actually, a mission "wipe out pirate system including stations" might be nice as step up from "kill pirates")

I like it!

Thanks for the bit on the AI ships. You won't get around the similar hyperspace range, since they must follow the same rules as your ship. They also can't follow you if you jump too far ahead. This isn't solveable easily since internally, sectors are basically hermetically sealed (due to threading/performance issues). Your allied ships just don't know where you went when they arrive in the destination sector. This actually makes sense ingame too, you can't communicate over large sector distances can only communicate within a sector.

But I might have an idea on how to solve that part ... I'll have to think about it.

The mining and spinning issues are fixed, whereas the spinning issue should have been fixed in the latest patch. The mining issue will be fixed in the upcoming patch.

(want to make clear none of all this is meant as harsh criticism or something - I really like the game :D )

Ha, don't worry, no offense taken! :) Really glad you like it.

7: I'm aware that fighters are too weak compared to how easily they can be destroyed (especially with the upcoming auto-turrets, these things just rip squadrons apart), and I'll look into that. Harder to destroy will probably be the solution.

In this point I believe that fighters should be cheaper and not harder to kill. otherwise we would be making corvete like ship on the size of fighters... don't make sense to me I think.

also, regarding the hangar, I also have encountered some issues lately.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=829824324

For example, in this ship, that selected block alone, prevents my fighters from reaching out.

Other suggestion I would make regarding hangars is, that they could be unidirectional. that is, not necesserely open on both sides to work.

Other suggestion I would make regarding hangars is, that they could be unidirectional. that is, not necesserely open on both sides to work.

I think hangars do work if only one exit is free. At least I have managed to deploy fighters from my hangar bay where one exit is at least 80% covered by other blocks. Also there are examples in the new trailer, like at

and

• Boxelware Team

Hangars definitely work when only one side is open. Right now you must make sure nothing obstructs the actual hangar block - not just the exit, though I will change that (including visuals so you know what's wrong) since it's nonintuitive.

I think fighters absolutely need to be harder to kill. AI ships will use auto turrets in the future and these things just rip apart fighter squadrons. Fighters are pretty complex to get, you need the fighters and pilots which you must hire at a station, plus hangars. Compared to turrets, they're very complex, making it very annoying when you lose them.

There just would be no point building fighters, except maybe for the coolness factor.