Faction Wars for player-owned sectors

I have found a couple of factions that I have decided to keep as enemies and was wondering if they will eventually send fleets to attack my controlled sectors like a standard faction war. Has anyone experienced this?

Not concerned, just curious if this feature is in the game.

Have encountered around a dozen faction wars, so I am familiar with that aspect of the game. I was hoping that there was a retaliation-type feature I had not discovered since I stayed neutral in all but one of the encountered faction wars (the one I did get involved was accidental).  I was looking forward to having to deal with something larger than the pirate and Xsotan raids that are so common. The biggest faction war attack force I've encountered had at least 20 ships.

Thank you, Devious, for answering my question.

• 1 month later...

Not yet, the game still misses a lot of dynamics in this area.

You can only encounter faction wars that spawned between NPC factions, and once you choose a side they will tone down.

friends and I are doing our first co-op playthrough and we found two factions at war. We have been "fighting" for one side but never got the actual prompt and the fight is not toning down actually its ramping up to a ridiculous degree. most systems have 20+ enemy ships and those that don't have them spawn the second one of us load system. Now this has been greet for farming wrecks but is it normal?

Yeah its quite normal for a sector to spawn a lot of ships. I once had a system with around 50 ships of both sides (released 120 fighters they all died), but they kept coming in anyway, because everyone wants the empty system...? I really hope the player gets seen as a faction, so warfleets can attack you as well, with a lot of ships (maybe depending on your force in the sector).