Recent changes in turret balance favor instant-dmg weapons too much

riess

It looks to me that turret rebalance where different turrets now sacrifice different amount of slots has unintended effect of making use of overheating weapons much less attractive compared to chainguns in early game and lasers from midgame.

This is something I like to call "time to feedback". Basically, when you are using lasers or chainguns, the feedback about those having an effect on enemy is immediate and continuous. This makes me feel like I'm really fighting back, especially when fighting more than single enemy, where my ship is constantly hammered by the negative feedback (the enemies are having a continuous effect on my ship).

However, when i switch to cannons or railguns, I'm now continuously stuck waiting for my cannons to cool down, watching as my ship is non-stop hammered by the barrage of enemy ships attacking me. There is now negative feedback without positive feedback coming from my ship, which really frustrates me.

Last upside of lasers is that those are eally great for fighting the stickships without having to sacrifice DPS for auto-aiming turrets.

Try making rails without cooldown, as people midgame/endgame produce factorymade turrets anyway. Its best to have a really long amound of shots, dont completely remove it, dont know why but found it better. Also these weapojs can be expensive to sell in equipment docks...

• 1 month later...

This is a lot more personnel preference than anything objective.

For example i enjoy cannons and rails because they do chunky hits rather than little bits of constant damage.

The game doesn't favor one or the other,  you do

Well the dps goes up if the time to reach cooldown goes up

And the game does favorite really long to cool down weapons, as those are sometimes worth 2-5 times the manyfacturing cost. But yes its a preference but for consistend damage non-overheating is definitely better, and thus more reliable. But indeed its preference, everything is in the game. And rails dont do little bits of constant damage, or you haven't found the right turret factory yet.