[MOD] No Civil Fire - prevents player AI ships from attacking civilians

Rinart73

[serverside] [Optionally clientside] [0.17.1 - 0.18.3]

GitHub

Many people find it annoying that player/alliance AI ships in aggressive mode will attack enemy civil ships thus lowering your reputation.

Well it seems that I found a way to deal with this problem through use of not very known part of the API and some workarounds. My solution also seems to be performance friendly.

As of version 1.1.0 you can also toggle aggression back on if you have this mod installed on both sides.

Starting from version 1.2.0 you need to install Mod Helper - Craft Orders in order for this mod to work.

Note: I assume that on a low-spec servers there is a tiny chance that AI ship will attack civil ships that were created in current sector (not warped into it) for a split second. This is due to the fact that there is no way to check if new ship is civil immediately after it was created. Although I tested the mod on low-spec notebook and everything was fine.

Installation

[*]Optionally install i18n - Internationalization if you want to have this mod translated in your language (version 1.2.0+)

[*]Install Mod Helper - Craft Orders (version 1.2.0+)

[*]Unpack mod archive into "Avorion" folder (next to the "data" folder)

[*]Add following line in the end of "Avorion\data\scripts\entity\craftorders.lua" file (after Mod Helper line):

if not pcall(require, "mods.NoCivilFire.scripts.entity.craftorders") then print("[NoCivilFire][ERROR]: failed to extend craftorders.lua!") end

Uninstallation

Mod is safe to uninstall.

Known issues

• Doesn't work on turrets in auto/defend mode. Just because API doesn't work on them. I posted this as a game bug

Compatibility

Mod overrides following functions:

• CraftOrders.initialize() - server
  • CraftOrders.setAIAction(action, index, position) - server
  • CraftOrders.secure() - server
  • CraftOrders.restore(dataIn) - server
  • CraftOrders.initUI() - client, prior to version 1.2.0
  • CraftOrders.onAttackEnemiesButtonPressed() - server, prior to version 1.1.0

Implements functions:

• CraftOrders.updateServer() - server

Changelog

• Fixed: Ships that belong to disbanded Alliance triggered an error
  • Fixed: Minor 'callingPlayer' check error

• Added: Localization support - you'll need to install i18n - Internationalization (optional)
  • Added: API - function "CraftOrders.noCivilFire_setCivilianShooting" and variable "CraftOrders.noCivilFire_civilianShooting"
  • Changed: Instead of overriding 'initUI' function mod now uses ModHelper_CraftOrders, which will allow other mods that use it to work together.
  • Fixed: Added permission check when toggling civilian fire on/off
  • Fixed: Mod now works when ship is in patrol mode too

• Added: If installed on clientside too (optional) mod adds a checkbox which allows to toggle aggression towards civilian ships on and off (off by default)
  • Removed: Mod no longer overrides 'CraftOrders.onAttackEnemiesButtonPressed()' function

• Initial release

API

Variables

• CraftOrders.noCivilFire_civilianShooting - true if civilian fire is toggled on. false otherwise.
    Note: Don't change this variable, use function "CraftOrders.noCivilFire_setCivilianShooting"

Functions

• function CraftOrders.noCivilFire_setCivilianShooting (bool on) - Toggles civilian fire on/off.
    Returns: true on success. False if it was called on client side and player doesn't have permissions to perform this action. False on server if it's an NPC ship.
    Note: If you calling this function on server side, always call it though "invokeFunction":

Entity():invokeFunction("craftorders.lua", "noCivilFire_setCivilianShooting", on)

Help to Translate

Currently supported languages: English, Russian. You can help to translate this mod:

• "Don't attack civilians"

Module for Complex Craft Orders

As of mod version 1.2.0, there is also an optional module, that allows settings from No Civil Fire to affect Target functions of Complex Craft Orders basic module.

Installation:

[*]You still need to install the main mod

[*]Unpack module archive into folder "mods\ComplexCraftOrders\modules"

[*]Add ' "nocivilfire", ' in the file "mods\ComplexCraftOrders\config\Config.lua" after ' "basic", '. So you will have this as a result:

config.modules = {
  "basic",
  "nocivilfire",
  -- place your module folder into "mods/ComplexCraftOrders/modules" and add your module name in this table
}

NoCivilFire-1.1.0.zip

NoCivilFire-1.2.0_0.17.1-0.18.2.zip

NoCivilFire-module-1.2.0-1.zip

NoCivilFire-1.2.1_0.17.1-0.18.2.zip

[*]Remove "NoCivilFire" folder from the "mods" folder

[*]Remove the line from "Avorion\data\scripts\entity\craftorders.lua"

Update - 1.1.0

• Added: If installed on clientside too (optional) mod adds a checkbox which allows to toggle aggression towards civilian ships on and off (off by default)
  • Removed: Mod no longer overrides 'CraftOrders.onAttackEnemiesButtonPressed()' function

• Added: Localization support - you'll need to install i18n - Internationalization (optional)
  • Added: API - function "CraftOrders.noCivilFire_setCivilianShooting" and variable "CraftOrders.noCivilFire_civilianShooting"
  • Changed: Instead of overriding 'initUI' function mod now uses ModHelper_CraftOrders, which will allow other mods that use it to work together.
  • Fixed: Added permission check when toggling civilian fire on/off
  • Fixed: Mod now works when ship is in patrol mode too

There is now also a module for Complex Craft Orders that will allow settings from this mod to affect 'basic' module enemy Target functions!