Stealth Capabilities?

Texmar21

Suggestion

I looked thru the Forums and didn't see any topics about this.

Any word regarding Stealth in the game?

Mechanics would require a lot of energy. Could not fire turrets/missiles or jump under "Stealth Mode" It would have have a cool down of 10 seconds to reactivate Stealth after firing.

Counter Measures for other party could be basic Submarine strategy, consisting of a "depth charge"  or buoy beacon that is launched and stays in place and pings once a stealth ship passes near.  Doesn't reveal the ship, maybe just the selection box for a brief moment. Beacon would have a timer before it despawns.

Or build a fighter with beacon turret and the fighter itself would be the beacon and would just patrol, until it pings a ship. but fighters can't patrol....maybe a block that can be fitted on a small ship to patrol and ping.

Once the ship is pinged and discovered it becomes selectable, enables the player to fire a missile.  In turn the opponent can reveal itself and use point defense turrets or hopefully avoid it behind cover.

The ship would not like to take a hit unless it thinks it can take the damage...because the ship would be restricted to no shields. Not sure if that's possible, or maybe another cool down is in place. 10 seconds to activate Stealth or you wait 20 seconds to activate normal systems to include jump/shields.

This could be a side mission as well, seek and destroy Stealth ship in sector xxxxxx

Thoughts?

Again, sorry if this has been discussed.

9 answers to this suggestion

I also agree, stealth or cloaking - both nice ideas.

Texmar21, I think you nailed it when you suggested Stealth/Cloaking should require a great deal of energy.

I would like to suggest further on the "cost" side of this.  The module requirement could maybe take up five (5) module slots.

Also, would also like to suggest a de-activation cost would be NO power generation for 30 seconds, and re-activation only possible after 90 seconds have lapsed.

And on death, the stealth module is permanently broken.  (The breaking part would help prevent abuse - or better yet, make stealth ships a prime target once de-cloaked).  FUN !!  ;)

I would like to suggest further on the "cost" side of this.  The module requirement could maybe take up five (5) module slots.

Maybe the module cost would be a third of module slots, so small stealth ships would be still viable.

But then there would maybe create a meta around multiples of 3 slots ???...

Counter Measures for other party could be basic Submarine strategy, consisting of a "depth charge"  or buoy beacon that is launched and stays in place and pings once a stealth ship passes near.  Doesn't reveal the ship, maybe just the selection box for a brief moment. Beacon would have a timer before it despawns.

Or build a fighter with beacon turret and the fighter itself would be the beacon and would just patrol, until it pings a ship. but fighters can't patrol....maybe a block that can be fitted on a small ship to patrol and ping.

Once the ship is pinged and discovered it becomes selectable, enables the player to fire a missile.  In turn the opponent can reveal itself and use point defense turrets or hopefully avoid it behind cover.

The submarine tactic would be excellent (especially when Hangars will come in all materials, or else stealth would be utterly undetectable before the Trinium Reaches ::)).

Just some thoughts:

Big ships are still overpowered in comparison to small ones... they are faster, somerimes even more agile, have more weapons and since hyperspace Updates can (or could?) be used to reduce cooldown to literally nothing you cant even jump faster than them (because they have more mod slots)

Torpedos were a nice introduction to give small ships some decent firepower and i think cloaking could make another solution for this Kind of balance issues.

My idea:

Cloaking Energy cost should have an exponential multiplier based on the ships size, making it the Harder to realize the bigger your ship gets...

Also having no shields while being cloaked and starting with completely depleted shields After decloaking Seen to be a good idea for me.

(Though i Wohls just give it a pretty small cooldown like 5seconds or Something like that)

Was thinking about the Depth Charge idea, the rocket launcher shoot projectiles and just keeps going.  Maybe the same function but they just burst at different intervals.  Similar to the AA turrets we have but at a larger range and heavier damage