Protect the piloted ship until player will finish loading a sector

Rinart73

Suggestion

Currently there is a problem on multiplayer servers - when you jump into a sector, it may take some time (quite a lot if the sector is big) for player to load data and resources. But during this time ship is vulnerable.

My suggestion is: Make ship invincible while player is loading resources. Since this happens on clientside, game will need to get a signal from client that everything is loaded. To prevent cheating I suggest to ignore all player actions until they will send 'sector is loaded' message. After that game will make ship vulnerable again.

Optinally, It would be nice to have a serverside callback for that too.

4 answers to this suggestion

Spawn ship when the loading-screen disappears (by pressing space-bar, if configured).

Wouldn't that be enough? Do you want a warp-in animation on top of that?

Spawning ship when loading is finished/spacebar pressed will work too. I just don't know if this will require serious changes for devs to make. That's why I suggested toggling invincibility, since it is already possible.

Plus as I said, loading and pressing spacebar happens on client and ship protection/spawn happens on server. So it's not that easy.

A good idea at all. Though an invincible ship may still get the shileds damaged, so the problem is not really solved by just toggling invincibility. When you have huge shields an low hull youll be destroyed before you can do anything. Rinarts solution would require shields to be invincible, not just the ship itself.

Also when the ship is invincible it must NOT start shooting with automatic weapons... hmm at all this solution may be more complicated I think.

unbekannt's idea is awesome, but it would require a maximum duration at press enter screen or any similar setting, you should not be able to wait there forever... you have to spawn in time (same for Rinarts solution btw).