Points around production. What other player think/would like/mean?

theCrow

Suggestion

a) When you claim an asteroid you have the choice of all raw materials. Is this good or to simple? Should it be better when you have one random or limited resources to choose (maybe rare have the posibility for all resources).

To find an asteroid you need is harder. You need more exploring.

b) Noble metal mine produce two different metals. It is better only one type of metal (and more realistic)?

c) Should be more subsitutes of resource/raw material exist? (to reduce the amount of mines you need...you are more flexible)

Example:

Coal: Coal mine. Or you use wood and a coal burner.

Oil: Raw Oil mine. Or you use oil fruits (sunflower, nut, rape or ...) from a farm and a oil mill. Or coal hydrogenation.

d) Should you able to generate/find all resources and goods for yourself (diamond, gem)? You are not rely on trader.

e) Should all resources/produced good have an consumer (leather, fish,...)?

That include toxic waste. (see also the post from kamo https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,4701.0.html)

In the real life...nuclear waste is used for ammunition. Let us use toxic waste for ammunition/torpedos?

f) Should be fertilizer an optional ingredient for all farms (rice, wheat, potato...)?

g) In productions/factories you have optional ingredients. My feeling is, that there is no difference in the output when you produce with or without optionals.

Should it be a boost in the speed or output quantity, when you produce with this optional ingredients?

h) Diamond and Gem. You have two different Jewelry (one use diamond the other use gem). It is better to have only one with gem (diamond is a gem)? And diamond you use in industrial products?

When you use diamond only in industrial products...you do not need a diamond mine. It is possible to have a diamond manufacturer (example: energy cell+electro magnet+hydrogen+bio gas) (more realistic)?

1 answer to this suggestion

a.) I think that claimable asteroids should generate with the chosen material content. That would mean that players would need more of these asteroids existing, so the asteroid-rich sectors should be more expansive to offer more than 3-to-4 asteroids per sector.

b.) It's not more realistic, since noble metals are often found in the same deposits together, but it just doesn't make much sense to have regular resources to have a whole mine dedicated to them. If I had to chose, I would make that every claimable asteroid has its own abundance of variable materials, which you'd need to scan to discover. Then you can simply found the mine on it and choose which materials you want it to refine. The more abundant the given material is on the asteroid, the higher the mining rate is. Since the decision is about "what ores I want to ignore", you can even choose all of the ores, but you'd have to dedicate storage to hold it, which in itself is a incentive to only select the ones you can use or sell.

c.) No. There simply should be less commodities in general. For example, Coal and Oil are different forms of the same organic decay products, that cannot be found in space.  Any space-faring species should be able to collect hydrogen gas and carbon and produce all the things, that Coal and Oil are used for. Economic part of the game is insanely oversaturated with commodities that are redundant (uselessly cheap or inconsequential), obsolete (unfit for the star-faring setting) or generic (specific for the human economies, not for alien civilizations). At least half of the economic goods has to be purged together with the unnecessarily long production chains and stations associated with them.

d.) Well, you can technically imagine using my prior-mentioned system of abundance and marry it to the ability to physically mine the asteroid in question, which would drop commodities according to the abundance values, but I doubt it make sense that you can get refined, tradeable goods from cutting the asteroid apart. As an alternative, perhaps Koonschi should add another loot object type, which is a medium-sized container with one or two random commodities held inside.

e.) Yes. In my opinion all production chains should end in some high-tier building, like shipyards and research stations, that are only buying these sorts of goods (civilian, military, industrial and technological). These stations consume the goods to improve the behavior of the factions, like having greater ships or better tech-level weapons on those ships and sold at Equipment Docks, etc. This way trading not only makes trading profitable, but also grants long-term effects for the AI factions you patronize. Goods like Toxic Waste should not exist at all, because almost any sort of production involves having remaining scrap, and in open space getting rid of any waste products is the most trivial task imaginable.

f.) Yes, but there should only be two or three such farms - crops, vegetables and fruits. Rice, Wheat, Potato etc are all Terran commodities - such names should not be used in a game, where not only the actors are alien species, but the game world itself is completely different galaxy.

g.) No. There simply should be no optional ingredients. Perhaps some factories should be able to produce different commodities using different components (you chose which one you want it to make, and it will use the specific recipe). Fertilizer is not optional - without it the soil will become barren and unable to bear any produce.

h.) The economy system is riddled with these cases. Wheat is a Plant. Oil is a Fuel. Wire is a Conductor, etc. When I was talking about wiping half of the commodities from the game, these are the ones which come to mind first.