Points around stations. What other player think/would like/mean?

theCrow

Suggestion

a) When you create a station you need huge amount of material (iron...avorion). In the center NPC stations have millions of HP. If there enough material to create a production line?

It is very, very, very time consuming to organize (salvage, mine, trade...) for a station with millions of HP. (I dislike the idea to have stations with maybe 100'000 HP in a sector when the NPC have 100 mio. HP)

Would it be helpful to have system upgrades for that? A system upgrade you can only use in stations. It increase HP and mass massively. Or to have an endless mine/station for iron...avorion? And/or...?

(yes, I know the mod MineCorp https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,1607.0.html)

b) If you create a station, you need a min. distance to other stations (I think it is 2 km). Is it helpful, when stations have a gravitation area? I mean you are not able to push stations together, less than this distance.

Then it is easier for Ships (player and NPC) to fly between stations without touching.

c) To interact with a station you need a distance of 0 km (to transfer crew...). Should the distance be increased to maybe 0.1 km? Or you can use the same mechanic than NPC use (the blue/yellow tractor beam)?

d) Should it be visible, when there is a problem on your station (missing crew, bad moral, low production...)? From ouside, from your ship. Not only when you are visiting a station.

e) Should it be possible to rename a station (or ship)?

3 answers to this suggestion

Hi,

a) I'd avoid building stations in the center, except you can build enough (if there are enough stations in a sector, pirates and xsotan usually don't attack). I'll attach a basic station that I usually use, it is ok outside the core, in the core you should at least turn it into Avorion and use a shield-booster (with recharge - fix installed in that station).

You can also add a hangar and fighters to it, but as far as I know those stations are unable to use weapons (if they are able to use weapons, they'll most likely shoot freighters that are currently docked). Important: Add a Captain and order it to attack enemies.

If you want a lot of HP, build yourself a Mine (Gold/Platin, ...).

At the center (got currently a station at -1:0) you can't expect freighters from NPC-Factions. So, you need to get a lot of stuff there yourself and export produced goods, too.

Profitability is another point. You can't make that much money with huge HP-Monster Stations (except it is a huge Complex - another Mod...).

Another point is power. If you've got enough power to supply your station, what could you do with the rest? The typical solar-farm has got a power-generation of round about 60 GW, that's enough to supply 2 or 3 of those small stations I use, but there's no way to utilize it except for a really big shield-generator.

We really need some game-mechanics to utilize excess-power. Has anybody built Energy-Containers on stations? - Well, for what should you build them? There's no need to boost and weapons is a point that I already dealt with...

The only advantage of stations currently is: They don't need to move their weight, no need for engines, thrusters, gyros, inertial dampeners,...

b) The light-lines on the docks are about 5km long (if I'm not mistaking), you should leave at least that much space between the stations.

c) The distance to interact (transfer crew and stuff like that) is just the same as between ships. It would be better to have a check 'if (Distance==0 OR docked)'

There is a mod by shrooblord, that does auto-docking for you (just like for the NPC-Ships) and Freighters controlled by goodshauler use that docking-method, too.

d) You should get some kind of notification.

e) You don't really need to rename a ship or station... It doesn't matter for me.

Teleporterfabrik0.xml

a.) Ogonite is a perfect material to provide good amount of HP with Armor blocks, and Ogonite rock is great for additional mass. Considering it is otherwise only effective as a ship armor, it is hardly a challenge to mine enough for that purpose. No competent game developer would introduce an equipment piece to only alleviate someone's laziness.

b.) I've never encountered issues with that. 2 Km seems to be more than enough to  give enough clearance for everyone. Besides, if you place two stations too close together, its you mistake, not the developer's misjudgment.

c.) I see no reason. If you cannot bring the ship for contact safely, then its most likely the problem of your own control over that ship. I strongly oppose the idea of eliminating mundane player "hardships".

d.) Why?

e.) Perhaps, although there might be some unforeseen technical issues with doing so, like failing to track the crew payment or registering the insurance for the ship that has been renamed. It is greatly depends on whether the ship's name is a identifier (unique entity ID, that is referenced for interactions with game systems) or a header (independent object property, that has no function other than to display the contained text here and there).

It is true that NPC stations have a x10 multiplier to both Health and Shields, to alleviate for bad construction design (In fact, their bad design is actually making them stronger, as they usually put weak points in central places, causing them to be loadbearing or get massive integrity bonuses ???).

Though, making a station is a bit difficult because the design ceases to be utilitary after a while (see the inside of a Marika-class Xaniongrade Heavy Station to realize how small her internal systems are compared to the hull).

One needs, at most, 20000 cargo (120000 for Trading Posts), 15000 assembly per production (my stations are really lacking on that, ehehe ::)), shields and generator, hangars, and enough quarters to crew it.

When you hit that spot, there is no reason to grow bigger, except piling on generators, shields and armor (and assorted crew quarters) to increase the numbers.

A similar spot exists for ships (around the Light Destroyer mark for CII ships - the point where you reach 120x8 hangar capacity), except instead of just piling armor shield and gen, you also add more engines and thrusters so it's more balanced, until you get to 15 system slots and it become theoretically counterproductive to make a bigger ship.

Except for fighter production craft after the Trinium Reaches, whose assemblies keep getting bigger :-\.

Ogonite is a perfect material to provide good amount of HP with Armor blocks' date=' and Ogonite rock is great for additional mass. Considering it is otherwise only effective as a ship armor, it is hardly a challenge to mine enough for that purpose. No competent game developer would introduce an equipment piece to only alleviate someone's laziness.[/quote']

Yaay, Ogonite rocks :)

To get more materials, mine and salvage. Especially salvage. [glow=#FF2626,2,300]Strip sectors and eat all enemy ships :P.[/glow]

I'd avoid building stations in the center' date=' except you can build enough (if there are enough stations in a sector, pirates and xsotan usually don't attack). I'll attach a basic station that I usually use, it is ok outside the core, in the core you should at least turn it into Avorion and use a shield-booster (with recharge - fix installed in that station).[/quote']

Yeah, stations in empty systems need defense, and enough health to withstand xsotan onslaught. There are no "usually don't attack" threshold though, so don't forget the odd war scavenger/vacuum cleaner ::).

You can also add a hangar and fighters to it' date=' but as far as I know those stations are unable to use weapons (if they are able to use weapons, they'll most likely shoot freighters that are currently docked). Important: Add a Captain and order it to attack enemies.[/quote']

Stations can use weapons, and obviously Independant Targeting weapons are better because it allows them to fire in several directions, though they need hardpoints that avoid usual docking angles :-\.

Defensive fighters are cool because they avoid the firing angle issue altogether, though there may be a problem with cargo shuttles if they are used in conjunction. I never tested cargo shuttles though.

c) To interact with a station you need a distance of 0 km (to transfer crew...). Should the distance be increased to maybe 0.1 km? Or you can use the same mechanic than NPC use (the blue/yellow tractor beam)?

The 0.02 km distance is really small, you need to be an excellent pilot to not drive into the station, unless the station has a good docking angle (like an L-shaped protrusion the crew transport can go in). It'd be swell to also enable crew/cargo/fighter transfer when the ship is docked to the station. It even currently makes no sense to some players.

d) Should it be visible, when there is a problem on your station (missing crew, bad moral, low production...)? From outside, from your ship. Not only when you are visiting a station.

e) Should it be possible to rename a station (or ship)?

d) Very good idea since some people set up stations from outside (it's strongly encouraged)

e) Seconded, we badly need renaming things, and the ship name is definitely not an ID.

It drives me nuts to make typos and errors in ship and station names, and prototypes never get their true ship designations so they are always saved with names like "Xx-1 Prototype" instead of "Rikka-class Heavy Cruiser". It'd also help for reconverting ships.

It would also be swell to get retitling dependant on plans :D.