Disguise instead of Cloaking?

Sir Charles

Suggestion

Hi all,

a little idea snuck into my mind. Koonshi said he was not sure whether he wants to implement cloaking anymore, but what about a "disguise" block or module that was able to hide any energy signature from a ship, but would force it to deactivate all systems.

You could easyly disguise your ships or stations as wreckage or asteroids like that, being ignored by the AI and (if not a scavenger ^^) players, but of course your ships would be unable to move, shoot, jump, have shields etc. and your stations were unable to produce something.

What do you think about that?

4 answers to this suggestion

i would rather allow players to deactivate or regulate the workload of certain modules and make detection based on that. like deactivating shields and cruising at 5% speed.

good idea, the use for this is given in both PvE and PvP as you can avoid NPC attacks on your poor little factories as well as set up a trap for another player in PvP.

I think that cloaking would be perfectly fine as long as there's counter-play and sufficient demands. First of all, it would require the special block (perhaps one that is only made out of Naonite), which takes a bit of power upkeep and allows you to move at a certain speed while remaining in cloak (the larger the block, the closer that limit to ship's max velocity). AI ships then will use the cloaking and approach the target near that lower speed limit.

Having Scanner upgrade on your ship increases the range at which you can observe a semi-transparent visage of the cloaked ship. You then can attack it in order to break cloak. When cloak is broken by damage or disabled by attacking or turning it off, the uncloaked ship takes 50% increased damage for ~3 seconds.

Cloaking should bring life to close-range ships (aside from fixing the damn Railgun ffs) and introduce more interesting tactics. I'm not sure how signature stuff is supposed to work for AI (at what point you can disguise yourself to avoid AI etc), and I don't think it would be effective in PvP either.

I think that cloaking would be perfectly fine as long as there's counter-play and sufficient demands. First of all, it would require the special block (perhaps one that is only made out of Naonite), which takes a bit of power upkeep and allows you to move at a certain speed while remaining in cloak (the larger the block, the closer that limit to ship's max velocity). AI ships then will use the cloaking and approach the target near that lower speed limit.

Having Scanner upgrade on your ship increases the range at which you can observe a semi-transparent visage of the cloaked ship. You then can attack it in order to break cloak. When cloak is broken by damage or disabled by attacking or turning it off, the uncloaked ship takes 50% increased damage for ~3 seconds.

Cloaking should bring life to close-range ships (aside from fixing the damn Railgun ffs) and introduce more interesting tactics. I'm not sure how signature stuff is supposed to work for AI (at what point you can disguise yourself to avoid AI etc), and I don't think it would be effective in PvP either.

i am not an enemy of the cloaking idea, the thing is that Koonshi told me that he was not sure whether he wants to implement it anymore...

Since i would love to see some sneaky mechanics in the game, i tried to make an alternative suggestion with this. Take a look at this thread and this one if you are interested in my ideas on an actual cloaking System. ;)