Cannot force enable outdated mods.

Crymson

With 25.2 out there is a new problem with outdated mods.  Now the system will not allow you to play with these mods even if you force enable them. I have even pulled some of these mods and installed them locally with the game version dependency set to 0.* and they load and function just fine.  This affects both SP and MP servers, the game runs fine but when it tries to connect to the server whether dedicated or even the SP local server it errors out with "Error while enabling Mods:".  This happens whether I am starting a new game or loading an existing game.

Literally every outdated mod, simply changing the version dependency in the modinfo.lua for the mod is enough to allow the game to load without issue.  This is easy enough to do clientside for an individual but it literally stonewalled my dedicated server totally making it unplayable. I have done a workaround for now by publishing a small compilation mod of just the most crucial outdated mods for my gaming community.

Client Log attached.  Also attaching the server log from my dedicated server.

clientlog_2019-08-08_04-25-44.txt

serverlog_2019-08-07_15-59-01.txt

I haven't tried force enabling on the client, but if you setup a server and set "forceEnabling=true", the server does load on 25.2.

No one is able to join though, because apparently that property is not replicated to the client side.

Since some investigation might be done in the topic of force enabling on the client side due to the OP, would it also be possible to consider reflecting the forceEnabling property of the server on the client side?

The idea of having a "max" dependency on Avorion for mods seems great on principle, but has been very frustrating. Even more frustrating that if you modify to remove the "max" property, it gets added automatically back during mod submission. For my mods I've just set the max to 10.0 :)

if you simply set the Dependancy to {id = "Avorion", max = "0.*"} it will be compatible with any version of Avorion going forward.  Personally when I create mods for any game I simply keep them up to date so the versioning doesn't become an issue.  When I do decide to take a hiatus from modding on a game I will set a version limit if available, and I always note in the description what version the mod is made for and that it is no longer being maintained.  Setting an arbitrary version limit on my mods when they will most likely continue to function regardless of game updates and especially the idea that they would become non functional beyond the next update seems like a really bad idea.