Server load- and inactive sector warning icons

Hammelpilaw

Suggestion

I want to give some general feedback to the yellow flashing warning icons "Game simulation load" and "Sectors with your property aren't loaded".

Server load

I think a server owner may not want to share the servers performance data, so it should be possible, to prevent the server from sending these data to the client, wich should disable this icon on client side - at least for non-admins.

Also the server load is not always correct. I did some tests on an Intel I9 9900k - this CPU has a variable clock (down 800MHz on low load in this case) wich falsifies the Server load in Avorion. Example:

Have a sector and spawn ships until server load (when printing /status) hits like 55% or 60% - load warning pops up. In my test the CPU has not been on max clock, cause the CPU load was still very low. Then I started a CPU benchmark wich pulls every single core to 100% CPU load - clock switched to max and server load in Avorion (/status) switched from 55% to 35% while benchmark is running, the warning disappeared. This is really bad... The CPU load is still very low, but Avorion tells all users, the server is overloaded. I really do not want to show this to the players on my server, the player should not think "oh bad performance here, I better play on another server".

If it helps I could sum up more detailed information about the behavior regarding the CPU clock.

Popping the warning icon at 50% server load is not necessary. It should be enaugh to pop it at 75 or 80% server load. Frame times usely do not decrease much until server load hits like 80% on a good CPU.

Unloaded sectors

Having informations about loaded and unloaded sectors is really great. But in endgame most players have a lot of sectors and they know that not all sectors are active. To me it is a little annoying to always have a flashing warning sign on my screen.

When having like 30 sectors with own entities in, it is not helpful to see the 25 sectors that are not simulated, you need to know wich 5 sectors are actually active.

My suggestion is to move this information somewhere else in the GUI and let the player switch between show atcive/inactive sectors.

2 answers to this suggestion

• Boxelware Team

Thanks for the feedback. The server load simply measures the time it takes for the server to calculate a frame - based on the 50ms that it may take. I agree that 50% may be a bit too early to show a warning. We'll look into solutions considering your other suggestions as well!