Finding your wrecks

FuryoftheStars

Suggestion

It's nice that having a flight recorder on your ship allows you to find the sector your ship was in when destroyed, but it'd be nice if it could also help you find the wreck within the sector as well.

Simple suggestion that, whichever piece of the wreck has the flight recorder in it, would have the white targeting box flash on it just like the Exodus beacons do.

(Also, it'd be nice to have the ability to clear these "You Died Here" markers manually or automatically after the flight recorder is salvaged/destroyed.)

Lore wise, you can say the flight recorder is transmitting a coded homing signal so you can find it.

The benefits to this are:

[*]Helps you locate your dropped systems and weapons easier.
Edit: Well, I guess reconstruction tokens take care of this now....

[*]Allows you to locate and salvage your wreck.
Edit: And I guess this was changed or never possible, too

[*]For those that design their own ships (or care), it allows us to find the wreck and inspect the damage, trying to determine if the ship failed due to a weak spot, or if it was simply too much overall damage.  (A design I've been working on kept failing faster than expected, and finally after being able to find some of the wrecks, I've determined that my front armor was too thin, allowing weapons fire at the weaker internals too fast.  I'm trying to fix this, but trying to find the wrecks to examine after is extremely hard.)

Edit: Well, crap. This may mostly have no purpose now due to other changes in the game. I’d still like to be able to find my own wrecks, but I feel like I got no good reasons anymore that apply to everyone. 😞

Edited by FuryoftheStars

1 answer to this suggestion

Gonna bump this, too.

Now, I know the C43 Object Detector mentions flight recorders in its description for higher rarities.  I don't know if this applies to player ships or not (and if it does, great), but it shouldn't be required for your own ships (your own ships should be transmitting a signal that you can already pick up).

Edited by FuryoftheStars