Procedural Generation Variety: Examples

SneakyTacts

Suggestion

I love the procedurally generated spacecraft we have now—however quirky they are—which is why I am suggesting to add more variety. Here I've made some things that are simple to make and easy to repeat.

Item 1 description:

of a cargo hauler;

alternating colors on cargo bays;

external grid;

simple-looking body.

LD98j2O.png

Item 2 description:

of a station;

rounded trunk (4 sides and 4 edges);

diagonal branches (4 edges);

branches become enlarged;

branches twist to a normal square;

grid of cargo bays or solar panels at edges.

CDW3Wb5.jpg

This last one wasn't made for this post, but it makes a point.

Item 3 description:

of a fighter (fighters really need some upgraded appearances);

minimal parts;

cool-looking engines.

xKL7ngH.png

THIS IS A FIGHTER. It is why fighters really need some love.

dh163Ji.jpg

6 answers to this suggestion

Wanted to quickly make variations of the shipyards' cradle. Some things aren't in scale and others like the CRANES aren't finished, but it still looks interesting.

tiLh2Zy.jpg

3V8Eu5L.jpg

4sAMFIK.jpg

MwrnARP.jpg

Here's a neat crane ("manipulator").

The-hydraulic-manipulator-for-the-spacecraft-simulator.png

Here's a neat shipyard ("construction station")

construction_station___shipyard___deep_space_2_by_thomson89cz_dctrp1r-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NTIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNDM5NGJlYjQtOTUzMC00NDZjLThmNDktY2Q5NGMxODM2ZDNmXC9kY3RycDFyLWU0M2MyMmFjLTg1NjUtNGEzZi05NzYwLTk1OWY0MTU1M2Y3OS5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTAyNCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.dxetM1RddUKyVYb_oVtXllUlBlpEH1vrfB6xiV8NqOg

Here's one like the other.

cff46ed271193814ca905feddb3f1c8b4401cbf2_00.jpg

This one is full of cranes and is called a, "mobile shipyard."

mobile-shipyard-3d-model-low-poly-obj.png

And here's a shipyard more similar to Avorion's.

3QWAB.jpg

LOL, I never really looked at the enemy fighters. I always shoot them down before ever seeing them up close, but wow they look like crap. XD I mean most of the AI ships do, but still for a fighter the long blocky poll style is even worse for them.

LOL, I never really looked at the enemy fighters. I always shoot them down before ever seeing them up close, but wow they look like crap. XD I mean most of the AI ships do, but still for a fighter the long blocky poll style is even worse for them.

Lol, neither have I ever seen their fighters in detail, but, boy, do I regret it! That’s the most ridiculous bundle of scrap I’ve looked at.

One of these days I will post pictures of all my cool fighter designs. I only have 4 right now and only 2 in service. Just a Gun Fighter and a Pulse Fighter. The other 2 are for a Laser Fighter and a Railgun Fighter. I was going to make Laser Fighters, but they massively nerfed lasers so I was like, nah I guess I won't make any of those then. So now it's just a blueprint sitting in a folder. :(

Yeah, I do plan to make a post to show some of my ship designs some day, but I want to have a few more made first. I only have 1 mining ship design, 1 salvage ship, 1 small cargo ship, 1 large cargo ship, 1 explorer type ship but like 3 versions of it, 1 frigate design and 4 fighter designs.

I need to finish my destroyer design because that is still not done, but the main problem with ships in this game comes after you have build them and you need to arm them with turrets. :( Every time I go around to all the turret factories to see which turrets I want my ships to have and get all the parts to build some of those turrets, an update resets all the turret factories so that design is lost forever. This is why I have never made more than 2 of the same kind of ship.  :'(

So until we can blueprint/make copies of turret designs, I just sit in my home sector just outside the inner circle of the galaxy and design new ships while getting money and resources. Some day, when I can fully arm a fleet of ships, I will go to war and conquer the center of the galaxy. :-\