Feedback on Avorion - shared by several gaming communities

Palad1n

If the game design were to change from a race to the center, and go completely opposite in which players are strongly encouraged to explore mid and outer sectors, make it more of an open galaxy type of game play, there would be more replayability.

I am not the only person who feels this way, as the few good gaming groups I play with all say the same thing every time we try and set up a server for Avorion, which is, it becomes very boring, very fast due to major imbalances which we, the community, have been saying for years now.

The economy is a complete mess when the RNG system for creating super weapons exist. IE: see my post under the economy update for details, but in a nutshell, I can amass 1B+ within the first few days by simply finding the most over powered RNG rolled weapon stats at turret factories, build 100 of the same weapon, then sell them all to any equipment dock for huge profits.

There is zero need to do any actual "trading" of any goods as a result. This is all while playing at max difficulty to boot!

The game has a lot of potential, and I honestly believe the current design choice of racing to the center was a huge mistake, especially with how badly balanced weapons and economy are.

Most weapons are completely useless. IE: in my last several play throughs, I never once used lasers because their damage output was so low compared to early game burst cannons, burst bolters, etc.

I don't understand the logic or reasoning for ever making stone blocks a thing in this game either. Myself and many others greatly despise the look of stone ships, just to deal with lightning weapons. (usually a big stone block just to deal with 1 annoying boss with bad design elements) - not to also mention, it doesn't fit sci-fi lore of any kind or make any sense... I mean, stone instead of ship hull?? o.O 

Why not instead make new system enhancements for shields that give resistance to these type of attacks, or an enhancement that polarizes hull plating to lower the damage or resist a portion of it instead??

Blocks don't really ever fall off ships from damage, not when you have structural integrity blocks placed around to encompass all blocks, so you essentially just "blow up" for silly reasons, especially when collision damage is turned on, yet most servers I ever see hosting this game rarely ever turn on full collision damage or make the game easy mode already.

It's a real shame when all my friends from several gaming communities all say these same things and get bored with Avorion quickly for the same reasons, and it's a shame the devs don't seem to take our feedback seriously, especially when we say they have a potentially great game, but they need to take a big step back and re-evaluate the direction they are taking it, especially after painting themselves in a corner with this "rush to the center" game play which gives zero reason or incentive to explore the rest of the galaxy.

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much active activity any more on these forums as I look through the many threads and find only a small handful of responses to any of them over the past year =(  A lot of "looky loo's" but little interaction.

I do agree with most of this. Weapons should be reworked to be specialized and unique. Integrity blocks shouldn’t be. And I also prefer the idea of starting in the center and moving outwards, since there would be more to explore in the end-game (also makes sense for invaders to come from outside and not from within).

Edit: you should make a post in the Feedback section that is concise.

Hi,

you should rename the thread to: "Suggestions for Avorion 2" - you don't think that the Devs would get back to a whiteboard (after years of development) and change almost everything about the game, based on this feedback-thread, do you?

If koonschi and his team started working on another game with the same engine, they would be able to do a lot about performance issues and balancing - for both games.

All of this is not really a matter of "changing almost everything about the game", but a set of problems the game had for a while, and many active players repeatedly pointed to them.  Most of the suggestions as an implemented task is equal if not less complicated compared to some of the recent changes. I had taken a long break from the game, and the main issue with Avorion remains to be the same: developers have dedicated their attention to more advanced and complex mechanics, but seem to neglect the foundation of the game as a result. That includes weapon balance, item distribution/production, optimization of the trading architecture, and so on. This reduces the positive feedback from the newly developed functions and features because fundamentally the game still feels raw and all-over-the-place.

And yes, the activity on the forums seems to be weaker than when I went for hiatus. I would really want developers to refine the Avorion's foundation in the near future to make the game actually enjoyable to play. It is important.

Yup, I agree with this, too.

The current setup where the higher tier resources aren't found until you hit certain ranges from the core (whether you're talking going from outside in or inside out) is only going to support players going from their starting point and beelining straight to the inner (or outer) most ring and then only really exploring those regions.  I'm not sure of the best solution, but my initial thought is that everything should be spread around, with higher tier stuff being rarer/in pockets.

This current setup also causes other (lesser) issues, ranging from completely pointless stations until you hit a certain resource tier (fighter factories), to stations that are not worthwhile trying to use in the outer resource zones (turret factories - also add to these that RNG can pooch you if your seed isn't kind), to seeing really imbalanced stuff (weapon drops that can almost win a fight on their own; battles between a titanium and naonite faction).

I also kind of feel like the tesla/lightning weapons (and thus the need to use rock hulls in certain situations) doesn't feel right.  The concept behind how these weapons would work and hit their targets doesn't even make sense to me.

And yeah, the RNG and weapons still needs more balancing.  A short while ago, I had a white/common chaingun that had better stats then several uncommon, even a few rare and an exceptional chaingun.