Trade Price Bug or Am I Missing Something?

fiestamasta

Hello all, first post here.

I just picked up Avorion recently and am a little confused on some of the trading. For all intents and purposes what I am encountering seems like a bug that happens frequently. However looking through forums I don't see much mention of it. So maybe I'm just missing something?

I've been trying to trade in game for awhile now. Build a ship, have some cargo space. Get a good Trading Module that shows all prices. I'm usually somewhat successful in executing one or two big trade hauls. Make a couple Million. Eventually however I run into a very frustrating situation that I can't seem to explain.

For example, last night I picked up a large amount of aluminum from a mine for ~$190/u. I take it to an aluminum consumer (forget which one now, maybe a laser head factory). Upon jumping into the system my trading module says that the factory will buy aluminum for ~$270/u and that it's current stock is 0/7,000. Without being docked I interact with the factory. On the sell tab, price is indeed ~$270/u. I fly to the factory, while keeping an eye out that no Ai hauler ship is docking or conducting trade. Reach the factory and dock. Price is still ~$270/u. The second I click on the Ui to input amount of goods to sell. All the prices seem to update while the new aluminum price is now ~$195 despite this factory having no aluminum.

Thinking the issue was with a sector update. I jump out of the sector and jump back in. Prices are back up to $270/u. However upon docking and clicking the quantity input the prices are again "updated" to the lower amount. This same price is reflective on all the factories in that sector that buy aluminum.

This issue also happens with other trade goods. I decided to give up on aluminum and check out a nest of 4 anti-grav unit factories I had previously traded with. Trade module and past experience puts their price at about ~$19K. However post-aluminum trade price fiasco. Even the anti-grav unit factories which all have a decent supply of output show a price of ~$32K. This is a price that I would normally sell at. Upon any kind of restart game, refresh sector, etc. The prices return to "normal" but change the second I dock and attempt to interact with the goods.

As mentioned above. This is absolutely infuriating. Mainly because I don't know what is happening. Am I missing something obvious? Is this a bug?

When this situation is happening. None of the prices I am getting from docking with the station are accurate or reflective on my trade overview module. I usually end up giving up and switching to my combat ship for the night. A day later or so I am able to execute a couple of trades before the prices go all crazy again.

Does anyone know what could be happening? This has happened two different servers. On a personal multiplayer server and a dedicated server.

I’m thinking that this could be an issue from updating an existing world to the recent economy version. One issue the developers warned about was something about prices updating, although I don’t recall it describing this. Ah, I remember it was about prices changing in a previously-visited sector being visited. This must be why you haven’t seen anyone having the same complaints—it’s a new bug affecting now outdated worlds. Has this world been updated to this version?

Mods and the beta branch are known to cause such bugs. Not always, but at times. I got off the beta branch and don’t download mods because of it. Mods often become incompatible after updates and the beta branch showed me some strange stuff, haha.

I’m sorry that you aren’t enjoying trading as much as you want to. I hope you’re still having fun. I’m waiting for 1.0 on March 9th to make a serious galaxy. I’ve been online occasionally to design and experiment until I’m bored. Can’t wait for the improved faction ship generator and end-game content!

Definitely still having fun.  Just unfortunate there are issues I'm running into but there doesn't seem to be a lot of literature regarding the issue. I would have thought someone would have run into the same problem.

Both worlds are a couple days old. Don't play beta branch or mods.

• 1 month later...

My luck with trading has been that things are pretty much buying/selling without any reasonable profit.  I'll see something buy for +12% and sell for +14%.  I haven't seen anything yet that gives me a profit worth going after.