Reducing the Amount of Factions & Conquering Territory, Low CPU Simulation Ideas

Kane Hart

Suggestion

These are ideas with performance in mind. It's not suppose to be complex but rather make the world feel a bit more alive and offer more meaning.

Smaller Faction Numbers Bigger Faction Territory:

I would like to see some changes overtime one in Factions.

Right now with 10k Systems visited there is over 600 Factions created. Of course 200 of those are players but you get the idea there is still a crap ton of factions.

I feel there would be a ton more meaning if there was less factions and more territory size for each faction. You piss them off you pay. If you run into a enemy faction their massive (Not like you can't jump out of harm way anyways as is).

I feel this will give you more meaning being in that faction. Plus your faction Interface is getting too damn big. Maybe when alliances come out you can split it into a tab for player factions / npc factions ;)

Basic Conquering idea:

Very basic Conquering of Territory. When you Conquering Territory it would be kind of unique if you remove all their stations and defeat their ships in the system that you can claim the system as your own faction or a NPC faction that is friendly to you. If you claim it as yourself you can say something like if 12 hours in game time you don't build a station the system might be reclaimed. If you do set to another NPC next time you visit the system say 12 hours it will go from empty to newly generated stations and life.

It's a basic basic system.

Simulation Ideas:

If you ever want to simulated it more you could play a roll of a dice game slowly. The bigger the factions and the lower their numbers the less times you have to roll. You can make this simulation slow say 1 system per minute might have a dice roll action where it will just say a system is now owned by the 2 factions adjacent to each other. Now I said 1 system per minute it could be a lot less or more but remember there is near 1 million systems so it's not like that is really a lot and this is globally not between 2 factions.

When a player enters a system that had changed factions it would just remove old stations/ships and add new ones on player entering the system.

Will have to come up with an better idea if the player owns the territory though if that becomes a thing and what happens to their stations. Something will need to work on but it's an idea of a very low simulation idea.

We could apply sort of other simulation ideas globally over trading and things like that give things a better meaning overall and maybe even an effect overtime.

1 answer to this suggestion