Suggestion: Bonuses/Penalties for mixing turret types

An Ning

Suggestion

To sum up the idea, it is that if a ship has all weapon-based, all mining based, or all salvage-based turrets, they get a bonus of some form (I would favor damage, but it could be accuracy, reload, range, just something), and if a ship mixes them up, then they suffer a penalty to weapons-based turrets (after all, the gunner on a mining ship probably won't be as good as the one on a battleship).

The idea is that a crew that specializes in something will almost always be better than a crew that mixes it up.
It also goes along with the question, "who puts mining turrets on a battle cruiser?"

It gives reason to build vessels that are specialized to a specific role in a fleet, rather than building a bunch of jack-of-all-trade craft.

3 answers to this suggestion

To be fair, I think the (already existing) benefit for doing all of one type or another on a ship is its ability to do that job better.

IE, to go off from what you said at the end, a “jack-of-all-trade(s)” is a master of none.

Edited by FuryoftheStars
Formatting

I personally think this is a great idea. As it stands, there's absolutely no reason not to just slap whatever weapon is your highest DPS on your ship. Whether its lightning, tesla, chaingun, etc. I think there should be some reason to chose just one type.

2 hours ago, VaultedX said:

I personally think this is a great idea. As it stands, there's absolutely no reason not to just slap whatever weapon is your highest DPS on your ship. Whether its lightning, tesla, chaingun, etc. I think there should be some reason to chose just one type.

I think the OP is referring to mixing military and civil turrets. Could be wrong... but that was my impression with the talk about crew using mining turrets on a combat crusier.