Player Inventory Vs. Ship Inventory

Ahdaymz

How does having an unlimited player inventory for resources (Iron, Titanium, etc..) improve gameplay? Why shouldn't a player need to add cargo space to a mining ship to store mined metals?

In my opinion, a player should be forced to design a mining ship with cargo space. A player who only wants to mine will never need to design cargo into their ship. Adding more considerations for the player to deal with can often add to challenge and reward, but only if the player accepts the premise behind those considerations. In this case, the premise is that resources take up space and need to be managed.

Currently, as soon as the player (or their AI ship) mines and collects a resource, it is safe. The gameplay after the resource is mined is devalued because a disposable mining ship is easy enough to create and the resource does not need to be managed or protected.

---

This idea goes hand in hand with the idea of ship building only in special locations (shipyards) as the game once was. This is another (related) problem with the value and challenge of certain parts of gameplay. Building and modifying a ship is meaningless because anyone can do it at any time. There is less value in any particular ship configuration, because it can be changed at any time.

Players had complained that it was too inconvenient to find a shipyard, but rather than making everywhere a shipyard, a more elegant solution might be to provide better tools to find shipyards - or any other stations - through something like map filters.

---

Naturally, these are all only my opinions. I'm not trying to force them on anyone else, only to see who might agree or disagree and why. So, thoughts?

If the game was a bit more realistically simulated and you can't build everywhere, etc. I would not mind having storage like that. Where maybe if you belong to a faction you can access your items from anywhere that faction has shipyards, etc.

But it's more of a RPG game in so many ways then eve online sort of game.

I agree.

I actually noticed only lately (20+ hours ingame) that my cargo was useless, haha...

I wouldn't mind to be forced to reach Shipyard to build my ship, but i often see myself try and delete and repeat, so shipyard has to be very permissive in placement, and cheap to balance it. Maybe simply allow to build anywhere in a sector as long as there is a shipyadr, would be enough.

I actually noticed only lately (20+ hours ingame) that my cargo was useless, haha...

Ha, well it's only useless if you don't want to do trading. If you want to be a merchant/trader you could build a very cool cargo ship for yourself.