Freed slaves are not cargo.

Petite Party

Suggestion

6 answers to this suggestion

1 hour ago, FuryoftheStars said:

I don't see an issue with them being in the cargo hold.  Hate to say it, but many ships probably don't have the crew space for them (both game mechanics and in a "real world" sense), and as such they would be given "temporary lodging" in the cargo hold.

Thanks for the response!

It's true that especially in early game, crew quarters is not something you have in abundance.
Personally, though, I think the worst case scenario for having to using crew quarters is much better than that for having to use cargo hold (see below), but I can imagine other players agreeing with you in that cargo hold is preferable.

Worse case (crew quarters):
After taking on freed slaves as passengers, your ship is overpopulated for a short time and you lose morale.

Worst case (cargo hold):
You do not have cargo hold installed in your ship (such was my case), and must do the following to proceed the quest:
Unless you killed all of the pirates and their shipyard, you will not be able to add cargo hold to your ship as enemies are still nearby.
Therefore, you must leave the sector, repair ship (if required), add cargo hold, go back into the sector and look for the freed slaves 'good' floating somewhere in the sector, as there is no visual prompt.

Hmm, maybe the added requirement to the mission to have X cargo space free like delivery missions?  That would be easy to implement and would avoid negative results in either direction (and also assuming it'd be easier to implement than a new crew type of FreedSlaves that's only for these missions, and has no stats or positions).

16 hours ago, FuryoftheStars said:

Hmm, maybe the added requirement to the mission to have X cargo space free like delivery missions?  That would be easy to implement and would avoid negative results in either direction (and also assuming it'd be easier to implement than a new crew type of FreedSlaves that's only for these missions, and has no stats or positions).

Yes! That sounds like something that should have been added a long time ago.

How does one get this mission, btw?

19 hours ago, FuryoftheStars said:

That would also be a welcome change!

I didn't really think about the actual details of having a 'Freed slaves' passenger, now that you mention it.

3 hours ago, MoreChainguns! said:

Yes! That sounds like something that should have been added a long time ago.

How does one get this mission, btw?

It can be picked up from stations like other randomly occurring quests.
When it was first introduced it was incredibly common, almost in every populated sector, but since the frequency was reduced in an update, I've only come across it once.
I'm not sure if there's a specific station that gives this quest.