Make Iron (or lesser metals) still useful late game

kurikaktus

Suggestion

Hey there, I'd like to suggest a change to progression. Is it possible to make newer modules still cost iron or some of the lower tier metals? My concern is this, after a while iron becomes a junk metal and it doesnt seem to be worth keeping it. My best example is terraria vs modded minecraft (in terms of resources). In terraria, I'd tier up to the latest gear, and all inferior metals are already junk. In modded minecraft, the recipies and easily accessible materials such as coal, wood, and iron, are still mostly used to reach higher tier blocks.

In this way, we would still find early metals still useful. Maybe in terms of immersion, higher tier equipment would need rare metals that alloy with iron or metals that came before them.

5 answers to this suggestion

My concern is this, after a while iron becomes a junk metal and it doesnt seem to be worth keeping it...

You do have a point. I agree that there should be further use for it. And your suggestion that later tier technology should require at least some iron (among other ingredients) sounds reasonable. It would also be nice if there was a factory we could build to turn iron into something profitable.

Iron mining is still a good way to make money.  I prefer being able to completely replace materials because I don't want to hit Avorion tier and still have to worry about managing the six other material resources.  Also keep in mind that even when you have access to Avorion, Ogonite and Trinium are still quite useful.