Something's "off" about braking and changing direction

SurprisingEdge

Whenever I use a turn-around maneuver to slow down, I have a hard time actually coming to a stop. I usually end up with a velocity off some strange direction. I haven't been able to figure out why, but I just did some math, and an experiment, and *something* is definitely odd.

I have a ship with a top speed of 877 m/s and an acceleration of 69.3 m/s/s. According to physics, it should take 12.65 seconds to go from 0 to 877 with 69.3 m/s/s

It has a braking thrust of 28.1 m/s/s. According to physics, it should take 31.2 seconds to slow down from 877 m/s to 0.

In my experimentation, acceleration is correct, it takes about 12 seconds to get to top speed. However, without turning around, coming to a stop takes about the same amount of time. It should take 2x as long, according to the math.

Also, if I'm going top speed, and turn around and boost in the other direction, I end up going top speed in the opposite direction in about 6 seconds, when it should take 24: 12 to come to a stop, and 12 to get back to top speed.

With how it's working, I'm really not sure what to make of the ship stats. Anyone understand what's going on?

Game is a bit funky about when you apply main engine thrust. Any speed you have is converted to forward momentum/speed when you do so, how quickly depending on mass and possibly other things.  Basically, flipping and trying to apply braking thrust with engines doesn't work cause of this, and you'll actually need to stack even more thruster panels if you want any decent to good braking power.