Which game engine is being used in Avorion?

guiohm

I searched but found nothing. Does someone know What @koonschi is using as a base to develop the game engine? I think I've read it's C++ based, but I'm curious to know more. For instance, if I wanted to start developing a similar 3D game with LUA bindings, what development environment/framework sounds the most suited to get started?

In a recent podcast interview they did the devs mentioned that it was a custom engine

According to this Avorion: Review and first look on the Linux-Game Consortium:

Do note the game is developed in Unity 3D, so this should work on most major Linux distro’s.

Also, here's an issue discussion for GameServerManagers / LinuxGSM were they talk about Avorion. Someone posts:

It's a custom engine. Here is what the server.ini looks like:

And UltimateByte replies to that with:

This config file looks like Unity3D.

Don't trust everything your read on the internet, Thundercraft. 'Looks like' is not the same as 'is a' ;)

Koonschi has said, that he has written the game in C++ and, obviously, partly in Lua.

Here is a post I dug up from 2013:

No engine, I wrote this stuff myself in c++.

I'm using a bunch of libs though, directx earlier, SFML (replaces direct sound and input now), openGL in the future, lua, and boost.

DirectX will be removed, as it works only on windows, and openGL can do everything directx can.