Premature ship destruction when deleting large parts of ship

Ygdrad

I was planning on recycling my current ship due to shots being able to phase through its large but somewhat thin corner armor plates(consider this another bug) and destroying internals in combat. I created an arm extending out of my old ship and started building a new ship at the end of it and when it had the crew quarters and power to support my old crew I selected the whole of what made up the original design and to my surprise my ship was destroyed and I was sent back to the home sector.

I think I know what is causing this. The game seems to consider deleted parts as combat damage until the new design is saved/autosaved and will sometimes even show the missing parts warning icon. My guess is that since parts have more hp than they give the hull, deleting the majority of my ship at once caused it to lose all its hull hp and be destroyed.

No, you deleted the root block of your old ship, which causes the ship to be considered destroyed. Turn on safe mode to prevent doing that.

How does the root block work? I've deleted the couple starting blocks of a ship multiple times before without losing the ship.

The root block is the block you start with when you start a new ship from a drone. You can transform it into other block types or merge it, but not delete it.

That's just plain false. Deleting that first block is the second thing I do on all new ship after placing some other block next to it. It can totally be deleted without losing the ship. This is not what is causing deleting a large ship part to destroy the ship.

• Boxelware Team

Ships are organized like a tree. The root block is the block that all other blocks will be attached to. This has to do with how the internal structure of the ship is organized. When you delete the root block and the rest of the ship is not connected to each other by adjacent blocks, some parts of your ship might get deleted.

Ships are organized like a tree. The root block is the block that all other blocks will be attached to. This has to do with how the internal structure of the ship is organized. When you delete the root block and the rest of the ship is not connected to each other by adjacent blocks, some parts of your ship might get deleted.

I guess I'll just create brand new ships and transfer crew over instead from now on. It was basically a smaller unfinished ship physically attached to my bigger ship and everything that was not set for deletion was inter-connected. I don't know why the root block couldn't have moved, but I'll be careful from now on.