New: Heavy cargo hauler "Albatross" +xml (DTU) (AstroOwl's Shipyard)

AstroOwl

New: Albatross - class heavy cargo hauler

When you want to trade, supply your bases and don't want to think about cargo storage (unless you go completely insane), the Albatross is the answer for you.

Over 35 000 cargo storage and reasonable price allows it to be used before you get to that "insane endgame" point and get into high-volume trading.

HiTZBGy.jpg

Production cost:

5'450'921 credits

375'153 Trinium

173'913 Avorion

2'150 Ogonite

xml: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1itgp32eonwwy44/Albatross.xml?dl=0

Further details under spoiler:

Non-technical blocks are made of trinium for mass reducing, technical blocks: Avorion. All avorion blocks can be easily replaced: ship consists of a lot of 5x5x5 "cargo containers": boxes of hull with actual useful modules placed inside. This allows to re-purpose them for any reason. Currently all bottom ones are filled with cargo, and top ones - with technical blocks, thrusters, etc.

1pvLsBh.jpg

ZxgtPhN.jpg

cXkr2Fj.jpg

RNt6EZZ.jpg

bp2FT7U.jpg

"Alligator" - class light attack cruiser

Medium combat ship used for midgame combat activity.

CMqgXGX.jpg

Details under spoiler:

This ship was updated to be used with new Beta thruster mechanics, link to the post: http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,1374.msg11011.html#msg11011

Combat ship i made for pre-Barrier dealing with enemies, exploration, etc. So, it's made of Trinium (armor, crew quarters, thrusters and cargobays) and Xanion (ramp for turret placing, shield generators, batteries, etc). Big Xanion ramp is used for mounting turrets.

Avoided getting him too well-turning, i dislike it when big ships turn like fighters. It decelerates at a good rate, though.

Production costs: around 2 milion cr + 106k Trinium + 122k Xanion.

Stats are shown without system upgrades or turrets.

Screenshot with ship stats:

pdl19QB.jpg

More screenshots with descriptions in Imgur post: http://imgur.com/a/GPQrg

Or here, behind spoiler (imgur seems to be better-looking):

svyl5J5.jpgnYuOJxR.jpgEmXC4XL.jpgS6s4yTW.jpgKCvaa1m.jpgKSf39dx.jpgLfconZG.jpg

xml file at Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kct7o1eyjm5vbar/Alligator.xml?dl=0

Sorry for a late reply, and thanks for the compliments, guys  :)

could you share the xml file? love your design.

My fault, should have done it right away. Xml file is too big for the forum limitations, so let me know it his variant works ,please: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kct7o1eyjm5vbar/Alligator.xml?dl=0

How did you manage to get the breaking thrust so high? Where are the thrusters?

Thrusters are in thin slices inside the ship. Most of the rear-facing ones are right at the center, close to the hangar. That "slices" (or "layers"?) are the best way right now, but hopefully that's going to be changed soon.

Also, here's the little video of using it in combat for pirate sector sweep:https://youtu.be/byKMFMT94zQ

I'm going to add a new ship soon: modular cargo hauler. Doubt it would better, but there is one idea i tried with it, now need to work on the details =)

Can you make an Alligator Version with full Avorion?

What i can do is to replace all Xanion in it with Avorion, to increase shields, jump range, etc., and give it the possibility to place Avorion turrets.

I'll not convert Trinium blocks, because, first, Avorion crew quarters, thrusters, etc are worse than Trinium (because mass), also, Avorion don't have armor.

Seem like Tri+Avo version actually looks better than Tri+Xan =)

Stats screen and overall view:

sTIgn7i.jpgGdEnyZq.jpg

xml for Avorion version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cg6bkw755rvypn/Alligator%20%28Avorion%29.xml?dl=0

As for creating Alligator-style ship initially balanced for endgame - well.. that would be once i reach said endgame. I'm still before the Barrier =)

What i can do is to replace all Xanion in it with Avorion, to increase shields, jump range, etc., and give it the possibility to place Avorion turrets.

I'll not convert Trinium blocks, because, first, Avorion crew quarters, thrusters, etc are worse than Trinium (because mass), also, Avorion don't have armor.

sTIgn7i.jpgGdEnyZq.jpg

xml for Avorion version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cg6bkw755rvypn/Alligator%20%28Avorion%29.xml?dl=0

As for creating Alligator-style ship initially balanced for endgame - well.. that would be once i reach said endgame. I'm still before the Barrier =)

Thank you so much!

I am really enjoying the switch to this ship, though going from a  much smaller ship to a bigger one like this was a PITA at first. Is there a trick to hiring all the people you need?

Not much, just fly around and hire. Ceep an eye on Commanders and Generals, though: they can't be appointed, only hired (i mean, they can only be professionals, you need to find them and can't replace them with "common" crewman)

I am really enjoying the switch to this ship, though going from a  much smaller ship to a bigger one like this was a PITA at first. Is there a trick to hiring all the people you need?

I recommend mod from mod section, which increases crew count for hire on stations :)

sTIgn7i.jpgGdEnyZq.jpg

Any chance you would consider making a mothership version? Basically the same ship but with a massive hangar. Im currently flying the Xanion/Trinium version around and it's just amazing. All i found was that i kinda wanted a tad bit more fighters. Basically i fund my ships by salvaging, so having a bay full with salvaging fighters is ideal for me.

Anyway, damn good ship sir. Best one i flown so far.

Any chance you would consider making a mothership version? Basically the same ship but with a massive hangar. Im currently flying the Xanion/Trinium version around and it's just amazing. All i found was that i kinda wanted a tad bit more fighters. Basically i fund my ships by salvaging, so having a bay full with salvaging fighters is ideal for me.

Anyway, damn good ship sir. Best one i flown so far.

Thank you so much, that's good to hear and makes me smile like an idiot =D Really inspires me to something else. But right now i have a lot of RL stuff. Probably in a week or so i would be more capable of doing spaceships. Then i would make something new, probably with more emphasis on hangars and balanced for 11-12 slots initially. That would include using new thruster mechanics, of course =)

Can you make a bigger version with more upgradeslots? In your version we have seven slots. Maybe you can modify to 12 slots? *I dont know how i can make it alone. Sorry...

You can do that by selecting ship from "saved ships", clicking "to Clipboard", then picking just a core block, pressing Ctrl-V, and resizing ship via Q button until you get enough upgrade slots.

This was covered in this thread: http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,1523.0.html

Now, as for the scaled verisons of the ship. I made versions for 8, 10, and 12 upgrade slots, all of them both in Trinium+Xanion and Trinium+Avorion variants. That don't take that much time:

T0CxOg5.jpg

Here is the link to Dropbox folder with XML files for all 6 variants: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gcib2tsb2x8tj55/AABkXZ5bCYYXDOmGlu4G3Y1Va?dl=0

Now, beware:

1. 8-slot Alligator is quite nice and good to use, i even improved it a little over previous variant. However, 10 and 12 slot variants wouldn't have the maneuverability of smaller versions.

2. Once the thruster changes will hit base game (not beta branch) (maybe they even did it already by the time you read it), Alligators would be much worse, all of them. I welcome change to thrusters a lot. Alligator, however, relies on broken thruster slicing mechanics, so it would suffer greatly. So, it would be time for me to finally dump Alligator and make some new combat ship to share. Thanks for your support =)

Nah, I don´t think you would have to dumb it completely, I would just remove most of the armor blocks and make it out of standard issue hull, flat blocks out of cargo/solar panels (MUCH lighter) and maybe add some internal volume of thrusters.  Afterall, almost ALL ships will be quite a lot nerfed :)

But yeah, change is fun, so if you wanna build new amazing ship, go ahead :D

Excellent ship design; nice work in keeping the block count low as well

If I were to fault it in anyway, would be the manouverability. Maybe find somewhere to add flattened thrusters to increase yaw/pitch/roll

Personally i kinda like the way it behaves but yeah for someone that has gotten used to a quick and agile fighter type craft i imagine the transition would be a shocker. Personally my own ship before i started using his design was more or less an armored schoolbus that could'nt really stop even if it wanted. So for me it was an agile, speedy and insanely manouverably craft considering it's sheer size.

Gonna test out his 12 slots version tonight and see how it behaves. If it's still decently agile for it's size i think i may upgrade to that.

Hopefully his upscaling also brought a few more fighter slots :)

Yes by the way to anyone that goes "Fighters suck". They sure do, but i use the salvaging fighter mod by someone on the forums whose name i cant remember at the moment and that makes a huge difference. Basically i don't field regular combat fighters but rather salvaging fighters.

Also AstroOwl, im looking forward to whatever comes out of that lovely designer brain of yours and if i may make another request. Do you have any ideas for a light explorer type ship. Would prolly need slots for hyperspace upgrade, but part from that i imagine even a small 1 or 2 slot one would be perfect. I tried designing one but i cant seem to be able to build small. What I'm kinda looking for is thus FAST and agile as heck basically.

Holy shit on a stick. 1500+ crew for the 12 slot version. Ok, im gonna progressively hop up from the 7 slot version all the way up to the 12 slot version. Gonna need to make a few pit stops to gather up crew :)

By the way. Even the 12 slot version still moves like a dream. Sure it's way less agile, but for a ship that size... Yeah, i don't think i need to say more.

2. Once the thruster changes will hit base game (not beta branch) (maybe they even did it already by the time you read it), Alligators would be much worse, all of them. I welcome change to thrusters a lot. Alligator, however, relies on broken thruster slicing mechanics, so it would suffer greatly. So, it would be time for me to finally dump Alligator and make some new combat ship to share. Thanks for your support =)

Thruster change hit the beta branch, (you probably already know this) I'm flying one of the older versions (7 upgrade) of this ship and LOVE it. I was able to mostly fix it by swapping out some thrusters into some of the armor volume near the front/sides.

But ultimately I am chomping at the bit to see what you do next.

Excellent ship design; nice work in keeping the block count low as well

If I were to fault it in anyway, would be the manouverability. Maybe find somewhere to add flattened thrusters to increase yaw/pitch/roll

Thanks =) Yeah, it could have been more maneuverable, but with thruster-slicing system i always feel like i'm cheating. I mean, any ship can be made very nimble, but i feel like... it's not right, so i have to stop somewhere. Would be better w/new thruster mechanics where thrusters would actually require some space.

Also AstroOwl, im looking forward to whatever comes out of that lovely designer brain of yours and if i may make another request. Do you have any ideas for a light explorer type ship. Would prolly need slots for hyperspace upgrade, but part from that i imagine even a small 1 or 2 slot one would be perfect. I tried designing one but i cant seem to be able to build small. What I'm kinda looking for is thus FAST and agile as heck basically.

Yeah, thought about it, but if you really are on an exploring spree, you need at least radar(deepscan) upgrade + object detector + lowering HS cooldown to minimal amount, so i'm more inclined towards 5-6 slots domain. Good idea overall, might be useful for those who want to make money by selling asteroids and finding secret stashes.

By the way. Even the 12 slot version still moves like a dream.

Well, i dunno, wouldn't call that a dream, but i glad you like it =)

But ultimately I am chomping at the bit to see what you do next.

Working on big (30 000 + cargo space) cargo hauler, balanced for new thrusters. Still working on details.

By far the best ship on this forum. Well balanced, fast, and very strong.

Can you make a late/end game version of any ships with avorion blocks? I swapped out all the outer blocks, but can't access the inner ones

Thanks =) I made versions with all-avorion functional blocks already, need to update the first post. I haven't replaced trinium thrusters, crew quarters, etc, since it changes nothing except giving much more mass and slightly more HP.

Link for the folder with different variants (upgrade slot count and materials: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gcib2tsb2x8tj55/AABkXZ5bCYYXDOmGlu4G3Y1Va?dl=0