Server parameter for number of sectors to keep awake

selkathguy

Does anyone know the parameter (or if there is one) for keeping X number of sectors (which do not contain players) awake?

On a server with 3 people, Mines are useless as the sector sleeps often the moment a player leaves it, and only 5 or 6 sectors are being kept in memory.  This is on a machine doing nothing else with 6GB remaining to use.  Extending the number of sectors to keep around would band-aid the problem for now, until there is a patch which makes sectors with player owned stations not sleep.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but: I don't believe there is a parameter to keep certain sectors 'awake'. I think the vanilla game is going to make those sectors sleep, regardless.

That said, if you are interested in keeping certain sectors awake, such as to make player-own factories and mines useful even when they're not in the sector, you may be interested in Laserzwei's Out of Sector Production mod:

This mod emulates the productioncycles of Factories while you are not in the same sector. It does so by catching-up the production process as soon as you re-enter a sector.

While I don't know what the performance would be like on a server, it sounds like it should not impact performance very much. It does not actually keep sectors awake. All it does is simulate factory and mine production.

-It does not simulate every sector simultainously. In fact it loads no Sector at all. It just calculates what the Production in a Sector would be if it was loaded.

-It does not calculate Stations or ships other than factories/Mines (also Playerowned)

As an added bonus, it also allows players to move those big asteroids that they've claimed:

-You can teleport claimed Asteroids, on which you haven't build a mine already. By claiming an Asteroid you get the option "move Asteroid". The option stays after claiming an Asteroid and you need to activate the jump manually.

I had it installed for a while and did not notice any bugs. But I've not had a chance yet to test it with player-owned factories or mines.

It sounds awesome and I don't understand why I can't find this mod installed on any server...

The out of sector production mod runs fine on singleplayer,

on multiplayer there are still a few kinks that needs to be worked out but nothing harmful.

He is working on some nice features too, one of them the ability to move asteroids to other sectors to group mines together.

The plugin isn't that much on performance, it only needs a few bugfixes and then it'll run smooth.

• 2 weeks later...

The closest I've found is this:

You can increase the time that it takes for sectors to go into sleep mode by changing the file: server.ini in Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Avorion

Look for sectorUpdateTimeLimit and set it to the number of seconds you want sectors to stay awake after the last player leaves. Will probably cause immense lag if you explore a lot or if you play with a lot of other players.

eg. sectorUpdateTimeLimit=3000