Game Play - Upgrade versus Repair Option

JiggsLuker

I ran into a dilemma yesterday and want to know if anyone has any thoughts on this. I was out on an exploration\titanium mining run and naturally get into a fight with some pirates. I managed to kill them all but in doing so get beat up to the point I have no thrusters left. I tried to repair but was unable to do so because I did not have enough iron on board (Slowly converting to Titanium).

At this point let me interrupt the tale. I know I could have a) gotten into the drone to mine iron or b) given myself enough iron with the command line to facilitate the repairs. The first would take way to long and the second would be a cheat in my opinion if you are trying to do a solid play through. Since I was testing and getting the hang of the game I gifted myself the iron.

Back to the main thought. I had more than enough Titanium on board (due to the mining run) but could not upgrade my ship with the “Titanium Upgrade” because I had to perform the “Iron Repair” first. My thought was that it would make sense to allow a player to perform an “Upgrade” to their ship with a higher grade metal in the Repair screen than have to “Repair” everything with iron and then tear it out and replace it with Titanium.

This post makes sense to me but sometimes I do not make sense to others. I could be looking at this from the wrong direction and if I am please correct me. If you have anything thoughts on this, please respond either way.

It does make sense, but, for the expediency of coding more features, or fixing balance issues, rather than putting fine polish on existing methods...

I suspect that this will remain as-is for the near future and see some attention down the road.

But another aspect of this is... materials don't always get upgraded evenly... Lighter materials are sometimes kept over newer ones.

Repair is a all encompassing command, not specific per module.

It would perhaps be a nice suggestion for upgrades to override damaged blocks but that would indeed be something for the future.

One thing you could do before repairing your ship is to wait for your mechanics to fix most of the damage.

This significantly decreases the cost of the repair since you only have to pay for the destroyed blocks instead of all blocks that received a bit of damage.

The thing is, ok for iron and titanium, that works fine cause iron is the worst metal on every aspect.

On the other hand it's not that easy once you have Avorion, Trinium and Ogonuim.

If you upgrade your whole ship from trinium to ogorium you change an agile ship into a tank that can't move, and Avorion don't have heavy armor.

I would prefer a feature to ask you to upgrade all blocks of a kind to another. For exemple "Upgrade all Titanium edge to Naonite" that would simplify the upgrade process without making you end in strange things.