retro-thruster engines + new way of distinguishing thrusters from engines

cy414

Suggestion

since there seems to be some buggy inherent drift introduced no matter what way you go about flipping/rotating a ship, especially when high mass & speed is involved, can actual retro-truster engines be added?

since i for one dont like getting slammed sideways into an asteroid on my right by some strange way momentum is dealt with

also, could a the distinction between engines & thrusters be changed so that thrusters reach max thrust (near)instantly, while main engines have a ramp-up curve? having each block different block consume different amounts of power could also be a trait.

thrusters = use their base power

engines = have a base power, an active power use level and a then their boost power with the draw increase

retro-engines = have base power, and active power including the draw rate increase.

this to simulate the difference between a chemical rocket for thrusters vs an atomic engine for main drives, while also preserves the concept of using thrusters or rotating the ship since it becomes a trade-off between power-use vs the cumbersome nature of very large ships.

9 answers to this suggestion

The thrusters are currently reworked, the changes are tested and being tweaked at the moment so try it out, as soon as the update goes live! Maybe it will be more to your liking :)

From what I've experienced, the changes to thrusters are currently disappointing at best, abysmal at worst since the changes royally screws over people who are trying to have a nice design aesthetic and maintain combat effectiveness since it's no longer possible to get even decent braking thrust or even thrust for other directions without having truly massive thrusters that are even larger than the main engines. Kind of makes it impossible to design ships that are effective in combat and still look nice.

• Boxelware Team

What you are referring to are not the changes I referred to, sorry for not making that clearer. The dev was testing out directional thrusters yesterday (those would go wonderfully in ship design and are in the direction they are pointing much stronger than the current version on the beta branch). As he is pretty quick with those things I think you will be able to see what I mean very soon.

I'm glad for the rebalance. Going to miss my organ-crushing 150m/s of deceleration though.

I had a ship at one point (was testing things) that had 400 M/s brake boost. Was a tiny ship with about 200 sheeting thrusters, and very little of anything else. Wasn't the quickest, but stopped on a dime.