Server Hardware / Slots

miaminice

Hey Guys,

i would like to start a thread regarding server hardware for avorion.

I wonder because our first sever had a 3 core cpu and 4 gb ram and we played with 5 guys on them with no issues.

We wanted more guys so we upgraded to a 10 core cpu and 16gb ram. We tought we can host up to 50 players but in fact, after days of testing, we can host 10, 15 when nobody is fighting ^^

I tested to increase the worker threads but i think that have no effect at all.

So my questions here are:

1. what kind of hardware is needed for 50 unlaggy slots?

2. will the performance will be inproved soon? (in fact we use a machine that can host 64 cs players or 50 minecraft gamers but only 10 avorion players?)

3. how the worker threads works aktually (please a dev)

4. what is the deal multithreaded or max ipc cpu?

Hope someone can help me out guys,

thanks in advance

bye :)

it seems the server has some contention issue with many open sectors, by which I mean I rarely see more than one two cores in use, and I'm running a dedicated 8 core with 16gb ram (not virtual, real, honest cpu) and when one player lags because fighting or generating a sector everyone does.

My guess was that every sector has his own worker thread. But it seems that it not runs this way.

I recognized that turrets with a large amount of bullets (machine guns) drops the sever performance massiv. So maybe the cpu performance is not enough. I guess that avorion likes more IPC instead of many cores. So maybe i make the wrong dicision with a 10 core v-server. Maybe i should upgrade to a real root server with a 4790k cpu. Less cpu cores but more ipc and more ghz.

But i am not sure :(

Having a worker thread or process (windows or linux) for each active sector/starsystem is definitively the logical way to go about things.

On top of those there must be one master process that keeps an eye on things and can arrange the transfer of assets between the workers (assets as in ships, stuff, connections etc) , and can start up and kill off workers as needed. (a form of garbage collection. systems that have no players in them for n minutes can be stored (to a file?) and closed.)

This would both stabilize the load per starsystem and make much better use of available resources.

I for example have a server in my basement with 2 hexacore xeons and 144 GB of ram. Nice machine. But if everything is ran on one thread then 11 out of the 12 cores will be useless.