working on a a mod manager

arthmael

so i have been working on a mod manager the last few days and i have come to the realization that there is really no way to know were the script should go aside from the developer of the script telling us.

so we as modders, and code monkeys need to come up with a way that will not affect the script to designate its location a standard if you will, also this will help future releases, other mod managers, other modders, and potential users of the mods to easily figure out were the mods belong.

so what i was thinking was lets get a list of ways we could accomplish this and put them all here.

Please read all options and try not to re-post ones that are already listed, also if you think something will not work, please explain in detail why it would not work and keep it civil.

I will kick this off.

simply add this to the beginning of your script.

-- ( Location/were/script/goes )

this way (atleast in my usage) i can search the script with regular expression and grab what is after -- and between ( )

awesome, and this will mature and get better with time as well, i am also working on a file monitor as well, so basically when you install a script, the manager will remember the file that was updated/added, and if another mod is to change or replace that file it will give you a warning.

didnt think about this but are there plans on using steam's workshop for mods? cause if so then this is pretty much a useless endeavor lol

We need something like a Addons -/ Mods folder to put scripts in.

Like you have a init.lua, wich runs the server automatic. You can then easy add player scripts, and things like that.

When im not wrong, this should already been possible. Make yourself a script with a file.find system.

Like:

data/mods/

Mods folder includes:

server(folder)
sector(folder)
galaxy(folder)
player(folder)

player.lua ( gets auto added via init.lua, this file manages the player files )
init.lua  -initializes as server

then you need to edit the raw server.lua and include your modular system wich finds all the files in your custom folder and adds them.

This method is just like the original one, but its easier to install & updates of avorion can be applied easyly.

This is just some kind of thought of me.

We need something like a Addons -/ Mods folder to put scripts in.

Like you have a init.lua, wich runs the server automatic. You can then easy add player scripts, and things like that.

When im not wrong, this should already been possible. Make yourself a script with a file.find system.

Like:

data/mods/

Mods folder includes:

server(folder)
sector(folder)
galaxy(folder)
player(folder)

player.lua ( gets auto added via init.lua, this file manages the player files )
init.lua  -initializes as server

then you need to edit the raw server.lua and include your modular system wich finds all the files in your custom folder and adds them.

This method is just like the original one, but its easier to install & updates of avorion can be applied easyly.

This is just some kind of thought of me.

this is not a bad idea, i could do this with the mod manager to force something like this, however it would be broken on every update most likely, of course depending on how updates are done, but either way, this is all for not if the dev's decide to go with the steam workshop. also the mod manager would only be for client side mods.

i have sent the dev a msg about all this and just waiting to hear back.

Only used to VB, but would is Not be the easyest way to Use the current AS config and give the User somethink Like in Minecraft where You can Use multiple Mods and create your own "Packs". For that the besten was would bei that You Start a Launcher that "builds" the config by every Start New. This was the Moder can pecifice where there Code should Go in and what need to bei from the Standard Code should Not loader in.

This way You make Like a Lego System (modular System) where every User can Switch in and Out there Mods.

Start Mod Launcher. Change the config, Starts the game. Close game. Config Back to Basic and exit.

This should with relace Text in config a easy way. This way You See to when Mods try to Use the space and You See what works and what Not.

Sex for my Bad english but i Hope You can understand what i meant.