Game Evolution and community participation... Monthly Mod Contest?

GrimJahk

Suggestion

1) Because this game is so young...

2) Because the Mod community is already growing...

3) Because the Dev team is already loaded with stuff to do...

I humbly suggest:

Monthly Mod Reviews...

Top x(3? 5?) mods each month (by player voting) are considered by the dev for inclusion into the game proper.

We all have QoL aspects that we'd like to see in the game and some Mods provide that.. if the Mod actually is in line with where the Devs want the game to go, it saves them the time of writing the code... One great example of something that the game needs that someone (couple of people) took the time to make the improvement... there are countless others.

1)Winning and approved Mods get Writing/Contribution credit...

2)Devs still control final implemented code...

3)Players get more fleshed out features faster...

4)... Meatier game gets more players and exposure to more of the Modding community...

5)Profit.

8 answers to this suggestion

There are concerns that need to be addressed regarding voting on mods. Where do you do hold vote? How do you reduce exposure bias (Mere-exposure effect)? Some mods are great for servers, and not so much individual players, there is a much smaller "voter base" for these, even if more people actually use it on a daily basis.

As a developer, part of the joy of writing a mod is getting people to use and enjoy your code while bringing in thoughts, suggestions, and ideas of how it can be improved and added to. That is reward enough for me. The code becoming a permanent part of the game if you win the vote eliminates that "reward", since I can no longer make changes, implement suggestions, and take user feedback to improve my "product". Obviously I don't speak for all devs, and that is only my opinion.

VERY valid points... in my mind its not so much a "vote it in", as a "vote to get it reviewed by Devs" for implementation...

now... that being said...

it's still a discussion between Devs and Modders as to final outcome, but I was noticing several QoL type mods that would be great additions to the core game... and that this might encourage more Modders to make QoL type stuff.

Implementing Mods right now is not always the simplest thing. Not everyone is comfortable messing around under the hood.

I think with cepheni there is someone that can and will keep an eye on all the awesome mods. I also agree with douglas' comment.

So in my opinion there is no mod contest required. Especially considering that the number of contestants would be relatively small for now.

A thing which might be better suited would be creative contests. Everyone can build ships or stations and that would open such a thing to a broader group.

This is a completely different thing from the one you suggested, but organizing something like this has been on my mind for some time. Maybe I can make something happen :)

I think with cepheni there is someone that can and will keep an eye on all the awesome mods. I also agree with douglas' comment.

So in my opinion there is no mod contest required. Especially considering that the number of contestants would be relatively small for now.

A thing which might be better suited would be creative contests. Everyone can build ships or stations and that would open such a thing to a broader group.

This is a completely different thing from the one you suggested, but organizing something like this has been on my mind for some time. Maybe I can make something happen :)

Point well made.. and makes sense. (wishes I was more creative, but looks forward to the new content!!!)

wouldnt an advert video contest be more constructive at this point?

staging reenactments of battles from sci-fi franchises for example?

-hava a video start with the loading screen before loading up into the battle over the replicator homeworld with star gate ships.

-replica millenium falcon flying through space, dodging asteroids, then panning out to see an annihilator star destroyer chasing it. only for the ISD to get slammed by an IoM cruiser.

a bunch of star trek fed/klink/rom ships fly into battle only to get ganked by a sylon basestar group.

the game has vast potential for sci-fi crossover battle rp even if people would cry about power scaling. highlighting that could be a way of bringing in some of the most driven fanbases the internet has to offer.

wouldnt an advert video contest be more constructive at this point?

staging reenactments of battles from sci-fi franchises for example?

-hava a video start with the loading screen before loading up into the battle over the replicator homeworld with star gate ships.

-replica millenium falcon flying through space, dodging asteroids, then panning out to see an annihilator star destroyer chasing it. only for the ISD to get slammed by an IoM cruiser.

a bunch of star trek fed/klink/rom ships fly into battle only to get ganked by a sylon basestar group.

the game has vast potential for sci-fi crossover battle rp even if people would cry about power scaling. highlighting that could be a way of bringing in some of the most driven fanbases the internet has to offer.

I think there is a significant legal difference between a Player building and flying a recognizable SciFi Icon in-game and Avorion using one of those ships as part of an advertising campaign...

• Boxelware Team
I think there is a significant legal difference between a Player building and flying a recognizable SciFi Icon in-game and Avorion using one of those ships as part of an advertising campaign...

Sadly you are right. We are not allowed to use ships that are obviously build off copyrighted material (like the star wars ships) for advertising purposes. But still it would be really awesome to see what you guys do :)