Hotkeys and a mechanic that forces the player to fight.

heiopei

Suggestion

Hello everyone, i hope i dont double post anything, but i didnt found anything of these.  :)

1. A hotkey for the Strategymap would be great and my mousewheel will appreciate that. With a simple hotkey the player can command his/her fleet easier and get an overview of the sector.

2. A hotkey to select the next warpgate would be nice as well, because finding them in a crowded system takes a lot of time. I saw almost every youtuber struggeling with that in their lets plays, so I think im not the only one :)

3. As far as i can tell the Player can always decide to take a fight or not. Even with the Hyperspace-blockers Players can simply boost out out of their area of effect and jump away. An Idea of adress this is to implement a damage mechanic to the engines, when Players boost in H-blocker range, so you have to decide taking the fight or get damaged and need a costly repair.

6 answers to this suggestion

1. Wholeheartedly agree. Torturing the mouse-wheel for entering and exiting the strategic mode is not a good method. Strategic mode,despite being a very great feature in its own right, has a lot of required improvements, but this one is at the top of the list.

2. Avorion just needs a proper Navigation window to browse and filter the objects in a sectors. There's no need to be that specific.

3. Well, the limitations on H-Blockers range were implemented to allow the escape in the first place. I'm not particularly against the escaping their area-of-effect, but what I'm very negative about is player's ability to jump away from the middle of heavy combat. I think that charging warp should take a bit less time, but the jump itself should have a delay, during which shields and IFGs are disabled, and being knocked off the jump direction will make the jump sequence fail. Would be a good forward-thinking mechanic for the more competitive multiplayer too.

A lot of the "cheaty" warp retreats could be fixed if the AI ships could use boost as well.  Then the hyperspace blockers could boost to keep up with the player's ship, forcing the player to kill the blocker before getting away.  Improving enemy functionality is always a much better way to increase challenge than to punish the player for doing something the game allows them to do.

1- true.also the ability to rotate it without having to go into build mode & zoom out.

2- this also, if we had an ability to set a destination which game us waypoints it would be nice.

i suspect there is going to be a menu system implemented for selecting targets in systems. since its pretty obvious cycling everything in a crowded system isnt ideal.

3- technically already exists in the form of warp inhibitors. but(as has already been said) the ai needs better ships and behaviour. ie, the ability and understanding to chase player ships with its jump inhibitors.

I agree. Players can always choose to engage or disengage, even without boost, and this affects the game's difficulty negatively. It's trivially easy to escape once you have shields and even a modest amount of credits and resources to build a decent little skiff. It becomes a matter not of whether you will win, but of how long it will take you to win based on the power of your weapons.

I'm playing on Normal and I haven't lost my ship in combat once. To be fair, I've been playing space trading and combat simulation games for decades and am pretty good at them, and I didn't mess around with combat much until I had some Trinium, but nevertheless this area of the game does need improvement.