Ohm Industries [10.5 r7633]

Ohm is Futile

Ohm Industries is proud to present its first line of designs.

To be sure you are selecting the appropriate product for your needs, be sure to pay attention to the specs of each schematic and, for quick reference, look for the following tags to help you decide:

[spoiler=explaining letter codes]U - Designates a hull which has internal space and/or is made of a single material, convenient for upgrades.

U - Designates a hull which may have a little bit of internal space or is made of a single material and could be upgraded with some effort.

U - Designates a hull which would likely require severe disassembly and reassembly to be upgraded.

C - Designates a hull which was designed for combat.

C - Designates a hull which is combat-capable, but not ideal or designed specifically for that purpose.

C - Designates a hull which is not meant for combat.

For more information, please read the design purposes for each line of ships.

Quick buyer's guide: http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,2306.msg12133.html#msg12133

Dropbox folder containing all the ships: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cxdofu2fyztd2tx/AABe2DgFRfNUeC1ghItcZKlya?dl=0

News: New ship and models in the AMR series! Check out the new Rhino!

===========================================

Exploration and Commerce series. (EC)

This series was meant for new captains to use as a series of stepping stones to carry them and their dreams further with each iteration. The main features are their low cost, quick flight capabilities, decent generators and, for bigger models, their cargo capacity.

EC-1XX Pioneer

U C

The Pioneer is the first and smallest ship of the EC series. It features no cargo bay, but it is ultra cheap!

[spoiler=pictures and xml]

Model information:

EC-101: Dirt cheap! Made exclusively from iron.

XML

CqYZFmK.jpg

EC-102: Also dirt cheap, features integrity fields in case you bump into asteroids get attacked.

XML

aTLL4Tc.jpg

EC-103: Bigger, faster, better!

XML

V0yjgiV.jpg

EC-2XX Prospector

U C

The Prospector is a modular civilian ship that features a modest cargo bay for captains who want to start trading. The core of the ship is built from eight same-size modules for people who like to tinker with their ships.

Model information:

EC-201: Fairly cheap, 100m3 cargo bay, modular.

XML

OrDqvdM.jpg

EC-202: 50% more cargo and somewhat faster.

XML

hhQ9ZCa.jpg

EC-203: Extra power and shields, in case you're suicidal unlucky.

XML

Csog1CJ.jpg

EC-3XX Nomad

U C

The Nomad is a significant upgrade from the Prospector, featuring more than three times the cargo capacity! It also features a shield and has been armored in case your journey takes you through unsafe space.

Model information:

EC-301: Large cargo bay, ample power, armored and shielded for your safety. (Note the 52% thrust stat, pull out your calculators to figure out the thrust at 130% efficiency)

XML

GdMxcqu.jpg

EC-302: Adds an expensive useful hyperspace core.

XML

elnbJvY.jpg

EC-303: Complete trinium overhaul, with slightly increased crew capacity and hyperspace reach.

XML

vbLl1Ib.png

Speed Warfare series. (SW)

This line is the first to be dedicated to combat. These ships are meant to use speed, maneuverability and an advantageous profile to limit damage and conquer your enemies.

SW-1XX Gale

U C

The Gale is a titanium-based hull, with later iterations integrating naonite for shields. It depends on lateral motion to fight using its superior yawing and strafing abilities to keep its thin profile facing the enemy. The integrity field generators are set up so the front plate shares its durability between its smaller pieces while covering as little of the functional blocks as possible. The side plates are left without integrity field coverage to avoid transferring damage to the center of the hull, which is covered by its own field to avoid more fragile components being destroyed from a bad hit.

This ship is meant more for hit and run tactics and light combat. Suggested loadouts would be either high alpha to take maximum advantage of its mobility or independent targeting weapons that let you focus on dodging while keeping the damage going.

Model information:

SW-101: Basic Gale hull, made entirely of titanium. Fairly cheap.

XML

jHUBmud.jpg

SW-102A: Has two shields modules for extra protection.

XML

LvgLHcr.jpg

SW-102B: Has one shield module and one power module for more energy-hungry setups.

XML

kTXWAny.jpg

SW-111: Revamped SW-101 Gale hull.

XML

wgtDqzi.jpg

SW-112A: Revamped SW-102A Gale hull.

XML

4I14xTF.jpg

SW-112B: Revamped SW-102B Gale hull.

XML

q09WRR2.jpg

SW-113: Trinium upgrade.

XML

bLNjLEy.jpg

SW-3XX Hurricane

U C

The Hurricane is the largest ship of the SW series and its base design is made of trinium, although a subpar version made of titanium and naonite is available. Just like other designs of this series, the Hurricane is fast and although it is not quite as maneuverable, it is easily the most survivable hull of this line for prolonged fights. Its speed and upgraded hyperspace core makes it the ultimate fast response combat vehicle of Ohm Industries.

Model information:

SW-301: Titanium and naonite version for the poor early adopters. Has all the basic features of the Hurricane line, but worse.

XML

P5Dwft1.png

SW-302: Base trinium hull with all the fantastic qualities of the Hurricane.

XML

m7OqqpD.png

Armed Multi-Role series. (AMR)

The AMR series differs from the EC series in that it integrates combat capabilities as an important asset. Where the EC series is fine for cowards peaceful captains who avoid conflict, the AMR series goes on the offensive. Although these ships will never compete ton for ton with pure military designs, captains will enjoy the ability to deal with pirates and pesky Xsotan incursions with little to worry about, especially if supported by local forces.

True to its name, this series features small craft docking bays and a respectable amount of cargo to be the best jack-of-all-trades. You can now trade, mine, salvage and fight all within the comfort of a single captain's seat!

AMR-1XX Taurus

U C

The Taurus is similar to the EC-303 Nomad, except better on almost every front, especially combat. Featuring a large cargo bay, room for a small fleet of salvaging and mining fighters, room for turrets and a fairly strong shield, the Taurus is a perfect entry ship to turn a profit in dangerous space. It is also fairly mobile, not too expensive and has a powerful generator for a ship its size.

Model information:

AMR-101: The original Taurus design, made of trinium and naonite. Strong, reliable, practical.

XML

IN73jzq.png

Model information:

AMR-112: This upgrade skips a whole power of 10 on the convention because it is so substantial! Adding almost 25% shield and cargo whilst retaining most of its speed and maneuverability is no joke. This was achieved by removing the engines and bolting on a whole new back section. Also achieves an extra hyperspace reach of 2 sectors and has a more efficient generator. Ohm Industries is not responsible for accidental undocking of the new section and subsequent loss of engines.

XML

pxWrwff.png

Model information:

AMR-113: This upgrade features xanion internals, allowing another extra sector of hyperspace reach and a whopping 50% more shields! Of course, there is also more power at your disposal.

XML

jyheQbw.png

AMR-2XX Rhino

U C

Significantly larger than the previous model, the Rhino features a massive cargo container allowing around 5000 units of trade material to be carried around. Despite its larger size, the Rhino remains similarly mobile and features an inertia dampener for superior braking ability. It also has a vastly superior hyperspace core, allowing a baseline reach of 15 sectors. Furthermore, this model also features hangars with a maximum capacity of 64 small crafts, a stock shield capacity of 124,000 HP, a thick armor plating and a mean-looking horn.

Model information:

AMR-201: The stock Rhino design, built mostly out of trinium. Requires a fair amount of iron for the inertia dampener.

XML

zSChAk0.png

AMR-202 Rhino PHIR: The product of a collaboration with Pub Heavy Industries. Major hull revamp along with some functional changes. Please refer to the picture to be wow'd for the exact changes.

XML

WaCqrAV.png

Ohm Industries' quick reference catalog:

EC series: jack-of-all-trades
EC-301: 5 Slots (121,581$ - 16,810 Titanium 2584 Naonite)
EC-302: 5 Slots (158,550$ - 16,894 Titanium 6774 Naonite)
EC-303: 5 Slots (217,857$ - 25,121 Trinium)
======================================
SW series: speedy combat ships
SW-112A: 3 Slots (29,486$ - 3,844 Titanium 1056 Naonite)
SW-112B: 3 Slots (27,361$ - 3,844 Titanium 792 Naonite)
SW-113: 3 Slots (38,066$ - 4,900 Trinium )

SW-201: 6 Slots (545,107$ - 26,320 Titanium 46,880 Nanonite)
SW-202: 6 Slots (678,687$ - 73,700 Trinium)
======================================
AMR series: multi-role
AMR-101: 5 Slots (282,983$ - 14,353 Naonite 17,305 Trinium)
AMR-112: 5 Slots (441,714$ - 14,916 Naonite 33,724 Trinium)
AMR-113: 5 Slots (506,702$ - 25,728 Trinium 22,912 Xanion)

AMR-201: 7 Slots (2,485,351$ - 43,673 Iron 246,088 Trinium)

Orignal post@FreddyAVO: There's a link between the individual models and the pictures. They don't work?

Slew of updates: Check out the new AMR series for all your trading in dangerous space needs, an upgrade for the Nomad and a new SW design, the Hurricane, a fast 6-system bare sleek military hull!

Check it out in the original post.

Screenshots:

n8xp6DY.png

XB8FqHk.png

VDsexSQ.png

eMcSDos.png

So... hum... I hate to triple post without having much of an update, but I'm rather baffled that I'd have over a thousand views and only one reply.

Do you guys like these ships? Do you like their functionality but find them a bit bland? (I know I do)

I'd like some kind of feedback as I'm really designing these ships for myself and only taking all this time to take screenshots and write descriptions because I thought some people would like some functional designs that are not the visual equivalent of a cereal box.

If nobody cares, I'll just keep them for myself and save me time I already don't have by not taking screenshots, writing fancy blurbs and all that.  :-\

So... hum... I hate to triple post without having much of an update, but I'm rather baffled that I'd have over a thousand views and only one reply.

Do you guys like these ships? Do you like their functionality but find them a bit bland? (I know I do)

I'd like some kind of feedback as I'm really designing these ships for myself and only taking all this time to take screenshots and write descriptions because I thought some people would like some functional designs that are not the visual equivalent of a cereal box.

If nobody cares, I'll just keep them for myself and save me time I already don't have by not taking screenshots, writing fancy blurbs and all that.  :-\

Sorry for not posting previously, (I haven't had as much time to play as I'd like over the last few days).  I liked the look of your designs enough that I downloaded them.  I haven't yet had the chance to use them in game but that's my problem and not yours, I should have posted something and not just dl'd.  Your work is an interesting counterpoint to some of the other work being done on Avorion ships, where the aesthetic seems to significantly outweigh functionality.  I like the fact that you've approached the problem more from the utility angle with the upgradability of each ship being a significant part of the design philosophy, making that your unique selling point, if you will.  For me this is important as I always end up looking for more from ships after a while, more room, speed, energy, etc, so the fact that I have to spend less time doing that is pretty cool.

When I look at them again I'm even more impressed by the fact that you've done the work to make them relatively easy to upgrade and they've still turned out looking like ships, whereas mine have had a tendency to look like something a five year old with the attention span of a gnat would make using Lego.

Keep making easy to upgrade ships, from a practical perspective, they're just what the doctor ordered

Aah, thanks for the feedback! I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad about not posting, I just don't get the download stats and I honestly didn't know what to make of the views and lack of response.

I'm kinda edgy since I've been putting in a lot more time into Avorion than I should with the midterm season and all...

Keep making easy to upgrade ships, from a practical perspective, they're just what the doctor ordered

Thanks, I'm glad people like my design philosophy. Although, the more I'm messing around with my campaign, the more I'm realizing that my upgrade indicator, as fun as it may be, is made rather moot. The fact is that I'm just building more variants and sub-variants that basically allow you to simply hit "apply plan" every now and then without looking back. That makes it more "play along" than "make it your own", but I'm fine with that, too.

Actually, I've been going from variant to variant and ship to ship without pause, so quickly that I'm asking myself why I'm making so many variants. I don't think I've spent more than half an hour in a single ship/variant.  ???

I do like the sleek look of the SW-30x series. Simple, yet oh so sleek.

I was surprised to see that the AMR-101 is pretty big, with a volume of over 1 mil. At first glance, I thought it was a small ship. :D

I'm quite happy with the SW-300s too, although the funny thing is that I sat down to build the SW-200, and it turned out much bigger than expected.  :P

Also, yeah, the AMR series is my biggest line so far, the 101 is pretty much as big as the Nomad, but better for combat due to the higher shield to hull ratio (especially since shield can be boosted with systems). It's a lot slower, but after trying it out for a bit, it still feels decently mobile.

I'm probably gonna work on the 200 model pretty soon, it's going to be my biggest ship so far without a doubt and I really want it to look nice, I'm actually kinda thrilled!

I like the ec-100's and ec-200's not flashy but they do fit in with the npc ships

the sw-100's are a bit too simplistic putting in a bit of block/surface variation would probably improve them.

It's interesting to see your designs change and evolve over time.

I like the ec-100's and ec-200's not flashy but they do fit in with the npc ships

the sw-100's are a bit too simplistic putting in a bit of block/surface variation would probably improve them.

It's interesting to see your designs change and evolve over time.

Yeah, I'm not overly happy with the existing SW series in terms of looks. And by evolution you mean me ripping off ideas from the creations' subforums?  :P

In other news...

Another major update! Two new AMR-1XX models and the new AMR-2XX series!

Also working on a buyer's price catalog with basic, core information about each ship.

Check the original post for more information!

EDIT: Quick buyer's guide here: http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,2306.msg12133.html#msg12133

rBTKY0c.png

• 2 weeks later...

NEWS

Started work on something big...

6V4H76F.png

This is the core of the AMR-4XX Minotaur, by far the biggest ship built by Ohm Industries so far. It should have 11 slots when finished, 20 000 cargo, 30 sectors jump reach and a 1 TJ battery. Thrusters, engines, shields, hangars, crew quarters and such remain to be done.

Also, basic blueprints for a new combat line are in the works. These may be revamps/new variants of the SW series or a brand new series. Along with the Minotaur, these should be much prettier than previous designs.

In completely different news, Ohm Industries has published a tutorial on how to procure better things in the game without use of Turret Factories. You can watch it