r7633

MrVorgra

Observations with new Patch

I havn't come across any new bugs, yet  ;D

Inertial Dampeners Vs Directional thrusters

The inertial Dampeners

- More energy consumption per volume, seems to be near 1000% more

- More breaking capability per volume,  seems to be near 60% more

- If you have more inertial Dampening cancels out the equal amount of thrust.

Gyro

- Still trying to figure them out, you need enormous amounts of gyros to ad even .01 rads to the vessel I was testing it on (which massed 0.43Mt) so it could be they are meant for smaller or even larger vessels.

I like the ability to disable/Enable systems, I feel as though the inertial dampeners should seperate flight assist, that way you could disable flight assist yet still have the ability to cancel out the last few .0Xm/s of velocity when needed.

Or a numerical Speedometer so we can more easily manually stop the vessel.

Gyro

- Still trying to figure them out, you need enormous amounts of gyros to ad even .01 rads to the vessel I was testing it on (which massed 0.43Mt) so it could be they are meant for smaller or even larger vessels.

I like the ability to disable/Enable systems, I feel as though the inertial dampeners should seperate flight assist, that way you could disable flight assist yet still have the ability to cancel out the last few .0Xm/s of velocity when needed.

Or a numerical Speedometer so we can more easily manually stop the vessel.

Agreed on the speedometer.

Can't wait to try out turning off the autothrusters. All I did was hop on to see if my ships showed a reduction in rotational power, which they didn't.

As for gyros, didn't test, but I'm going to hazard a quick guess:

It's either: a UI glitch (like directional thrusters mistakenly reporting thrust in directions they can't impact, my money is on this option) or they aren't quite balanced yet due to it being a new block with a new mechanic or it's indeed underpowered. (...or you aren't using enough?)

Gyro

Gyros, form what i understand, work better for small ships and worse for large ones.

Thing is, the torque generated by gyros is proportional only to their volume, while in case of thrusters it is volume*lever arm.

When we are upscaling ship and all the dimensions are, say, doubled, then:

the torque generated by gyros is increased by 2*2*2 = 8 times (since volume is 8*(old volume))

the torque generated by thrusters is increased by 2*2*2*2 = 16 times (additional "*2" is because lever arm is also doubled).

This naturally makes gyros a good option for small ships, but for large ones, you need to start using thrusters to gain advantage of big lever arms.

I personally like this situation, since it buffs rotation of small ships, but don't give too much rotation to large ones, which helps immersion, imo.