Server that runs.

Aki

State as of Steam Early Access.

Server is still majorly used for testing but it should be online most of the time. Feel free to check it at: 149.202.65.190:24000.

Have fun and see you,

Aki.

Its Incredibly frustrating to have a server host 5 or more so players and have none of them use the general chat at all.

In the end up I managed to just  do 2 things, scavenge a part of an afk 'Aki' and destroy two ships all just with my mining laser. The sad part of it all is that I did not mean to do any of it. One player ended up rage quitting because he was constructing while I was busy chopping it away with my mining laser..

Yeah.. so not good. Word of advice to any of you out there. Learn to message!

Well always when I'm online then I use chat, but keep in mind that world is persistent and ships are floating or following orders there even when we are offline.  ;)

And waaaaait, did you destroy my system security ship?  :'(

That leads to question if we can get "response with fire" order for AI ships. I could just force every player to have negative reputation to me on server, but that's not the way, I believe.

• Boxelware Team

I was planning on introducing "safe zones", basically sectors where players cannot damage other players. Or maybe make ships of a player who is logged out invincible and passive (invincible and non-passive has potential to be unfair).

But yeah. Being logged out can be problematic with griefers, even if they don't do it on purpose.

I'm green and subjective.

I was planning on introducing "safe zones" Anything that could hide a ship from general gunfire. I have made in one of the systems huge Dock out of the rock for myself, it has few mill hp and for now it's doing its work (station docking in general)., basically sectors where players cannot damage other players. This solution wouldn't be that bad, but it wouldn't feel that immersive. Even in EVE online you can destroy other players in high-sec. Or maybe make ships of a player who is logged out invincible and passive (invincible and non-passive has potential to be unfair). Definitely, no.

Like I said, general "Return Fire" and ship grouping would do most of the work. Also implementation of reputation system between players so the AI ships know what to do.

But yeah. Being logged out can be problematic with griefers, even if they don't do it on purpose.

How about having friendly faction that will take care of your ship? With ability to add/remove block in script I could (and, more obviously, you; don't bother with that, I believe you have way more important things to do :) ) actually make an automated station with docks reservations. And this station could have small flotilla of security forces. Similar to new Citadels in EVE. :)

• Boxelware Team

There's always going to be someone with a big enough ship. It might be immersion breaking, but there is no other reliable protection from dedicated griefers except with a built-in safe system.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Aki. What are you running the server on? I have  16gb linux 4core machine 4U rackmount server i wanna host this game on. So some assistance would be cool :p

I have couple of 32GB, i7-4790K running mostly on Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS. If I find time then I could help a little bit, but, like I said, "if I find time"... I'm preparing guide on hosting Avorion servers on linux, but to be honest, I'm waiting for Steam version arrival to write it only once.  ;)

Anyyyyway. It took 14 day of pirates and alien attack to destroy repair dock in our home sector. Shall we do a reset?

CiaVNDxWUAAMoFx.jpg:large

Stay with us, Storm, you can learn things here too!

Anyway, I have got screenshot that is terribly wrong and only people who were on server can get what's wrong in it. Its title is "Hauling cargo to The Luseodcyebh Station"

avorion-wrong.png

• 4 weeks later...

Duun, duun, duun. We are going to have a galaxy reroll soon on server so be sure to check if you have saved all of your ships, say goodbye to Resource Depot #8, to half of the shipyard and rest of damaged ships. I have found pretty nice seed, it is single-nation too but it has a lot of sectors. Hopefully they won't be empty/asteroid fields.  ::)

I will do the reroll in one of the next few days (time, time, time). I will post changelog and summary after that.