Why should i play this over Starmade or From the Depths ?

Tchey

StarMade is a game about building spaceships and their systems (a weapon is not simply a "turret bloc", it's a full system of blocs and effects). From the Depths is about the same but with boats.

http://fromthedepthsgame.com/

http://starmade.org/ (i love this video :

)

What is the big attraction Avorion has, the others may have not ?

I'm playing the demo and i backed the Kickstarter, i only want to discuss about maybe my favorite game type.

• Boxelware Team

I have to be honest, I haven't played StarMade or From the Depths, but, as far as my knowledge about the other games goes, these would be our key features that separate Avorion from them:

• Dynamic block sizes (I know it's not the killer feature, but I still wanted to mention it)
  • Procedurally generated ships
  • Hundreds of AI Factions that interact with the player
  • A focus on flying: More RPG elements, less complex building, more combat against AI, trading, looting.

Avorion is more like an X game or Freelancer where you're able to build your own ships. Less Minecraft in space.

Edit: Grammar

StarMade is a voxel-based 3D sandbox space shooter (copied from their site).

From the Depths is about boats but it is also focused on combat.

On the other hand Avorion is more into space-sim genre. At least I feel so. By space-sim I mean games like X, Elite, Freelancer, Pioneer, XFrontier, Evochron series (Starwraith games), Vendetta Online or even EVE Online. A game in which you can do anything you want and building your own ship is just an addition.

I hope it will have much higher focus on economic, management or long-term combat aspects than just pure building.

Avorion describes itself as procedurally generated sci-fi sandbox.

I think you should play other games like yours, to at least chack what is not working on them, or what is well. Or don't play anything so you are not spoiled and you do your stuff. I have no idea what could be the different results.

I play(ed) a lot of StarMade and i will play it more i'm sure, from update to update. In Starmade, you start with nothing, mine by hand on a planet or asteroid, then build a small salvage ship, etc. until you have a fleet of huge ships with automated factories, nice mechanics included (gravity switch, safe door, hangar, semi automatic turrets, weapons "handmade" bloc by bloc to define the size, power consumption, range, effect... etc. It has the same "galactic map with sectors", and you can take over the sector, fight IA pirates, other players on open or private servers... StarMade is more focused on building, less on fighting, but still it's a thing you must plan if you want to survive. It lacks some action, it's very slow paced, but when you enter it it's so huge.... Also it has a quite amazing community of awesome builders. Also, planets are random but ships are handmade and selected from a huge selection of ships from the community and the team, so they have a "soul".

The randomness of a game can be its death too, as everything is actually unique, but without taste, and players can't feel any attachment to anything. First versions of Starbound were exactly this : random worlds, random monsters, everything felt the same after a while just because everything was random. Now they moved to more unique stuff beside the random, and it feels much better already.

Avorion seems to be more action packed, but less deep.  I like the feeling of the demo, i like the potential of it, and still I wonder how it may catch attention and keep its playerbase.

I guess time will tell.