Graphics card issues Intel HD Graphics 4600

NovaCharlie

Hello,

i have issues with the game while using a notebook. I have two graphics cards: One onboard Intel HD 4600 and additionally a NVIDIA GeForce GT750M. Every time i start the game, i get an error massage, that the game found an onboard graphics card. Due to the low performance of the onboard card i have some serious issues while playing Avorion. So i have to deactivate the onboard graphics card manually in the device manager. If i now forgot to activate the onboard graphics again, i have some major issues in other games.

Dont get me wrong, i can play Avorion and every other game i wish, but it is very annoying to deactivate the onbord graphics before playing Avorion and activate it again for play any other game... Is there a possability to tell Avorion, to use the NVidia graphics card, without manually disable the onbord graphics?

Btw i am using this setup:

Acer Aspire V3 - 772

Intel i5-4200M 2,5GHz

Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVidia GeForce GT750M

16GB DDR3 L Memory

500GB SSD harddrive

Windows 10 Home

Game version Beta 0.10.2 r7448

I had the same issue at first when I started playing Avorion, and it's an easy fix.

1. First, navigate to the game's install folder by right-clicking the game in Steam, clicking on the "Local Files" tab, and then clicking "Browse Local Files".

2. Inside the "bin" folder, you'll find the game's executable, "Avorion.exe". Right-click that, and there should be an option labeled "Run with graphics processor". Hover over it and click on "Change default graphics processor..." in the sub-menu that pops up. This will bring up the NVIDIA Control Panel.

3. Click the "Add" button next to the first drop-ddown menu, click on "Avorion.exe" in the new menu that pops up, and then click "Add Selected Program" to add Avorion to NVIDIA's list of recognized applications. If you ran it recently, it will be near the top of the list. Otherwise, you may want to use the drop-down menu at the top to change to A-Z sorting.

4. NVIDIA will have already selected Avorion for you in the first drop-down menu, so click on the second drop-down menu, and select "High-performance NVIDIA processor".

5. Click "Apply" in the bottom right to confirm the changes, and close the window.

Now, whenever you run Avorion, it will use your NVIDIA card by default, rather than using your integrated graphics.

Thanks a lot for your advise. This doesnt work for me how you described, because i dont have avorion in the drop down menu from 3. but i may have found an other solution: i just set the NVidia card as the standart gpu for everything in the NVidia system settings... for know it eems to work. I will test this for a few weeks and than i can tell you, if this finally works.

Setting the NVIDIA card to the global default is actually what I did, but I generally don't recommend it unless your laptop is constantly plugged in like mine because of the increased power drain. If the power drain becomes an issue, another thing you can do is in step 3, click "Browse..." below the list and manually find "Avorion.exe" on your computer. It's a bit more difficult if you don't know where to find it off hand, but it will force NVIDIA to recognize the process.