Linux DS SteamCMD cowardly refusing to install?

ZOP

OK I don't know how anyone is getting this to work...because steamcmd installs with linux32 platform and Avorion flags as 64 bit steamcmd refuses to install.  I installed steamcmd via valve's manual method (there's no packages in Debian anymore) and it appears there's ONLY 32 bit linux available for it?  Any help?

Steam>login anonymous

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Logged in OK
Waiting for license info...OK

Steam>force_install_dir /home/steam/avorion/

Steam>app_update 565060 validate
ERROR! Failed to install app '565060' (A 64bit operating system is required to launch)

The one possible quirk I'll try resolving around is right now the game server runs as a Linux branded zone on SmartOS, however normal syscalls to get arch will return 64 bit and it is indeed fully 64 bit (This is the first thing I've hit that isn't seeing it as 64-bit...which is why I think it's steamcmd's fault)

Instr's from https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

My guess at this point is steamcmd is doing something horribly wrong when trying to detect the "architecture" it's running on, and being inside a virtualized machine it's assuming it must be 32-bit because of whatever broken way they're checking the arch.

Yup that appears to be it.  Running it on metal works, VM doesn't.  I'll diagnose more and see where it's going wrong and see if SmartOS can return the "correct" information to it.